Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120v in parking garages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How easy is it to find 120v in parking garages? More specifically, long term places like cruise terminals. For example, we went on a cruise out of Charleston SC a few years ago, but didn’t own an EV then. I think I remember seeing 120v plugs inside their Parking structure. It’d be really nice to just leave the car on charge while we’re on our cruise. What about 120v outlets in parking lots of airports? We recently stayed in a hotel that had a 120v 20amp plug on every single lamp post. The outlets are ideal for long term parking because who cares if it takes two days to charge as long as the car is full when you return!

Reactions: gavine
Finding a random 120V plug in a garage it pretty hard, it's not common that they exist in the wild.

Finding a 120V plug to plug in is getting easier and easier. Many airports have on-site or off-site parking that cater to EVs.

A quick search for Charleston didn't show any options for cruise parking, but there was a number of hotels with options. You may want to call some of the parking options to see if they do have options for you.

PlugShare is definitely your friend.

Reactions: dhrivnak
We are taking a cruise out of Galveston in a bit and have found a parking garage with included electrical connections. I think parking facilities are catching on to the increasing demand, especially those who cater to cruise parking, where they know folks will be gone for a week or more.

Reactions: gavine
We are taking a cruise out of Galveston in a bit and have found a parking garage with included electrical connections. I think parking facilities are catching on to the increasing demand, especially those who cater to cruise parking, where they know folks will be gone for a week or more.
I've talked to the manager/owner at Port Parking in Galveston about options for EV charging. He is pretty excited, has added a few and planning on adding 120v/20a outlets while he watches the EV usage and tries to stay ahead of it.

Electric Vehicle Charges - EV Cruise Parking Galveston - Port Parking

I will say plugs are not necessarily free to use. Please ask first. Depending on rates, state of charge, and battery size, you're going to be using ~$10 of electricity. Sure, no big deal if only a few use it. But it may upset the business and turn them away from EVs.

Reactions: kavyboy
The airport garage I use (Aladdin in San Diego) has about 15 or so 120v plugs with dedicated EV spaces, another block of Tesla connectors, and a couple of 30a J1772 EVSEs in their valet area. Checking on Plugshare should help locate whatever is available. I don't recommend plugging into random plugs without permission.

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px and Galve2000
Unless you are dealing with temperature extremes, you should be able to park for 1 to 2 weeks at a cruise terminal or airport without losing significant charge, by enabling all of the energy saving settings.

Though if you have confidence you'll stay connected to a 110 outlet for the duration of the trip, that will eliminate the anxiety we always have about something unexpected causing the battery to discharge when we've parked it for extended periods while on trips.

Unless you are dealing with temperature extremes, you should be able to park for 1 to 2 weeks at a cruise terminal or airport without losing significant charge, by enabling all of the energy saving settings.

Though if you have confidence you'll stay connected to a 110 outlet for the duration of the trip, that will eliminate the anxiety we always have about something unexpected causing the battery to discharge when we've parked it for extended periods while on trips.

For me, it isn't about the battery worry while gone. It's about driving 3 hours to get there and not having to stop and charge on the way. And being able to drive straight home.

If the place was local, I wouldn't worry about plugging in at all.

For me, it isn't about the battery worry while gone. It's about driving 3 hours to get there and not having to stop and charge on the way. And being able to drive straight home.

If the place was local, I wouldn't worry about plugging in at all.

This. After dragging luggage and family off of the cruise ship and back to the car (well, the family walks; I typically don't have to drag them), I want to be able to just zoom towards home.

This. After dragging luggage and family off of the cruise ship and back to the car (well, the family walks; I typically don't have to drag them), I want to be able to just zoom towards home.
I agree. Look for charging options, PlugShare whatever, or call the garage/parking lot where you plan to park. Having a fully charged car after your cruise is definitely desirable. 120v plug is all you need if you’re gone for multiple days.

I've talked to the manager/owner at Port Parking in Galveston about options for EV charging. He is pretty excited, has added a few and planning on adding 120v/20a outlets while he watches the EV usage and tries to stay ahead of it.

Electric Vehicle Charges - EV Cruise Parking Galveston - Port Parking

I will say plugs are not necessarily free to use. Please ask first. Depending on rates, state of charge, and battery size, you're going to be using ~$10 of electricity. Sure, no big deal if only a few use it. But it may upset the business and turn them away from EVs.

The parking in Galveston is cool.... from the website:”
Please note that Port Parking is constantly looking to add the latest technology to further serve our cruise parking customers in Galveston, TX. In the near future, we also plan to add several 110V outlets so please bring your adapters if you’ll be needing to use the outlets to charge your EV’s.”

I’d hate to go on a week long cruise with my Tesla plugged in and tieing up a destination charger for a week knowing I’d only need it for 6 hours tops. If I went to a hotel with a J1772 port, I’d probably use that instead because anyone could unplug me as needed.

Please note that Port Parking is constantly looking to add the latest technology to further serve our cruise parking customers in Galveston, TX. In the near future, we also plan to add several 110V outlets so please bring your adapters if you’ll be needing to use the outlets to charge your EV’s.”

I’d hate to go on a week long cruise with my Tesla plugged in and tieing up a destination charger for a week knowing I’d only need it for 6 hours tops. If I went to a hotel with a J1772 port, I’d probably use that instead because anyone could unplug me as needed.
At the Galveston lot, who is going to use the EVSE if you don't? Go for it! Most weeks the equipment just sits there unused.

That is why he is switching to outlets. Do note, though, that while the HPWC is free of additional charge, he plans to have a fee for the outlets.

How easy is it to find 120v in parking garages? More specifically, long term places like cruise terminals. For example, we went on a cruise out of Charleston SC a few years ago, but didn’t own an EV then. I think I remember seeing 120v plugs inside their Parking structure. It’d be really nice to just leave the car on charge while we’re on our cruise. What about 120v outlets in parking lots of airports? We recently stayed in a hotel that had a 120v 20amp plug on every single lamp post. The outlets are ideal for long term parking because who cares if it takes two days to charge as long as the car is full when you return!
The outlets on lamp posts are for ICE block heaters during the winter. It's pretty common in cold areas.

My success rate has been less than 20% in public garages. They can sometimes be found but it is far from the norm. I have better luck finding J1772 in a garage.

Cruise lots pretty much lock the doors when the ship leaves. No one is going in and out.

Having the destination chargers puts him in the Tesla map. His plan is to add more 20 120v as needed. He’s concerned about electric costs, but will cross that one as usage grows.

Nice guy runs the lot(s) there. Has a well run company.