Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120V vs 240V for Battery Health?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,
I just got my SR+ and I have both a 14-50 (240volt) plug and 120V plug available. I've got the adapters for both on the mobile connecter.

My new 3 only runs up to 32 amps so I've got it setup on a 40amp breaker and seems to be running fine.

My question is about long term batter health / longevity, and I'm not concerned about charging time / range. When I need to get the range added back in, I'll use the 240.

Does anyone know if it is better for health of the battery and longevity to keep the car plugged into a 120 or 240? I'm wondering if keeping it plugged in for maintenance charging is better to be done on one setup or the other.

Main reason I ask is that my car does not get driven for 3-5 days each week, and I'd like to avoid as much degradation as possible since I do regularly have to use superchargers for long distance drives.

Hey folks,
I just got my SR+ and I have both a 14-50 (240volt) plug and 120V plug available. I've got the adapters for both on the mobile connecter.

My new 3 only runs up to 32 amps so I've got it setup on a 40amp breaker and seems to be running fine.

My question is about long term batter health / longevity, and I'm not concerned about charging time / range. When I need to get the range added back in, I'll use the 240.

Does anyone know if it is better for health of the battery and longevity to keep the car plugged into a 120 or 240? I'm wondering if keeping it plugged in for maintenance charging is better to be done on one setup or the other.

Main reason I ask is that my car does not get driven for 3-5 days each week, and I'd like to avoid as much degradation as possible since I do regularly have to use superchargers for long distance drives.

Use Scheduled charging with a 240V.

The rest will be automatically taken care of.

240V.

With 120V, fixed losses during the charging process make 120V charging very inefficient. Not only does everything (pumps, on board charger) need to run for longer because the charging is slower, but extra longer because it's very inefficient in comparison. This costs you more money in electricity at the very least, but technically may put additional wear on other components.

Even 240V@32A, though much higher power than the 120V@12A, is very gentle on the battery. The battery is extremely large, and still takes many hours to charge at that speed. As long as it takes "many hours" to charge a lithium ion battery, you're being gentle to it basically. It's when you get close to an hour or less to charge 0-100% that you need to start questioning it.

If you park outside or in the cold, 120V comes with additional problems.

There is absolutely zero difference from the perspective of the battery and any measurement of its "health".