Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120volt to 220 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think of buying one of these? When traveling, if we rent a house there may not be a 220 volt connector available, but surely there would be two 120-volt circuits, right? Does anyone have experience using one of these?

Devices like this have been sold for a while, the brand I’m familiar with is “Quick 220”.

I just can’t see bothering with something like this in 2023. Finding two separate circuits, on different phases, within reach of the leads, in a house you’re not familiar with, is not as straightforward as it sounds.

There is so much charging available these days. Why bother.

Devices like this have been sold for a while, the brand I’m familiar with is “Quick 220”.

I just can’t see bothering with something like this in 2023. Finding two separate circuits, on different phases, within reach of the leads, in a house you’re not familiar with, is not as straightforward as it sounds.

There is so much charging available these days. Why bother.
The "on different phases" part is what I am worried about. I am not familiar with how common that would be. But I do love being able to plug in where we stay, and doubling the charging speed there would be nice. My 2016 model S charges pretty slow on superchargers.

What do you guys think of buying one of these? When traveling, if we rent a house there may not be a 220 volt connector available, but surely there would be two 120-volt circuits, right? Does anyone have experience using one of these?

I agree with the above posters. It isn't as easy as it sounds. You need two 50' 12 gauge extension cords since finding two outlets on different phases isn't going to be easy or even possible in some cases. I've found that trickle charging on a 15A receptacle, or, for newer condos, as 20A 5-20 receptacle works fine. Just buy the Tesla 5-20 adapter.

@springdaisy82 What you linked to there is the primitive dangerous version of it.
Yes, that's the nice official version with detection and safeguards built into it. I do have one of those. It will never come in useful now.

And they are not usually compatible with gfci.
More than just not usually. They literally cannot ever work on GFCI circuits.

@springdaisy82 And that's why you're not going to find an opportunity for this to be very useful. It can't work on GFCI outlets. Guess what? All external 120V outlets on a building and all outlets in a garage are all required to be GFCI, so this can't work on any of those. You will have to find some on inside rooms in the house, so then that will require stringing some really long extension cords through the house and out a door. It's a big pain and just isn't going to be relevant. This is 2023 now, not 2013, so the outlandish use cases that made people think they needed stuff like that is mostly gone away.

Reactions: brkaus