Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i-Pace Wobbly before MS Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

New poster here, so bear with me. Today I was about to press submit on my 4K order and found myself wondering why I hadn’t looked at the I-Pace reviews now flooding my inbox.

Took a look and tbh am pretty impressed with the first effort from Jaguar. That was until I phoned up and ran through a finance quote.

Same model, almost the same price and format (7.8k down, 22k miles, 48m PCP). The i-Pace came in with such a low GFV that the monthly payments were over £500 more than my proposed MS.

A real contender to MS, only it really isn’t at that cost - but perhaps a used car to keep an eye on.

Onwards with the Tesla methinks...

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi folks,

New poster here, so bear with me. Today I was about to press submit on my 4K order and found myself wondering why I hadn’t looked at the I-Pace reviews now flooding my inbox.

Took a look and tbh am pretty impressed with the first effort from Jaguar. That was until I phoned up and ran through a finance quote.

Same model, almost the same price and format (7.8k down, 22k miles, 48m PCP). The i-Pace came in with such a low GFV that the monthly payments were over £500 more than my proposed MS.

A real contender to MS, only it really isn’t at that cost - but perhaps a used car to keep an eye on.

Onwards with the Tesla methinks...
Things to keep in mind: Charging network (Advantage Tesla), Jaguar's bad history with their electrical systems, Tesla is quite a bit bigger, and the semi autonomous features

Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla has two major advantages over EVs from other manufacturers.

The Supercharger network provides support for long distance driving - something more challenging for EVs from other manufacturers, relying on 3rd party charging networks.

Tesla has produced several generations of battery packs and motors, and have a design that has been proven to result in relatively little degradation over time. While other manufacturers can do the same, it may take them an iteration or two to achieve this [like Nissan's early Leaf models that lost over 50% of charge.] UBS did a teardown of a Model 3, Chevy Bolt and BMW i3 - and they confirmed Tesla was far ahead on the battery and drive train. Nissan had significant problems with range degradation with the first generation Leafs - losing more than 50% range, requiring battery replacements.

Jaguar could go through the same learning curve on EV design - something that may not be obvious for a year or two after their first EVs go on the market.

For the next few years, Tesla will continue to have an advantage with the supercharger network and with more mature battery/drivetrain designs - longer term, Tesla can't rely on those and will have to be competitive in other areas (service network, features, …).

We all know that Jaguar are not even building these cars themselves right? Maybe it does not matter on some levels. But it does show they have little EV commitment (yet).

Meantime I totally reserve my personal opinion at Jaguar and just say any additional EV choice is great. Lets give them some credit, just hope the buyers are happy with the public charger network.....