Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

128gb USB but Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a Samsung 128gb 3.1 usb thumb drive, formatted properly, etc., yet I get a persistent error notification saying I should use a drive with minimum of 64gb. I've tried wiping the partition, confirming drive space, reformatting, everything I can think of including rebooting car yet it keeps coming up with that error every time I plug it in. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Tesla firmware updates often cause disk corruption on my 1tb Samsung SSD. I believe this is because the drive isn’t being correctly unmounted prior to the car’s computer restarting numerous times during the update.

Connecting the SSD to a computer and allowing Windows to automatically fix the errors on the drive usually solves the problem.

I’ve gotten in the habit of manually dismounting the drive (hold the camera icon briefly until it flashes briefly), then unplugging the SSD prior to running the firmware update. I haven’t had any SSD problems since I started doing this.