Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See what I mean?

It WAS 5k for the first 2.5 years of being offered :)
It was $5k and INCLUDED base Autopilot in it. Now base autopilot is removed from the feature set. It should be cheaper. If you recall, when they first announced base autopilot in mid 2019, it was a $3k option. That means the remaining features would have a value of ~$2k. Which I think would be fair.

When's the last time you used it?

A few updates ago they finally actually updated it after years of stagnation--- it now no longer requires parking between two other cars, because it's now vision based instead of just using the ultrasonics....so it can park between just 2 lines now.

And while it's not FAST, it's a halfway reasonable speed now and I actually use it occasionally now unlike the previous version I never used except when a newbie asked to see it park itself.
I've used it with vision only...yes it parks within lines, but still can not park on first attempt like a human can. I think one time it did park on first attempt and I was happy. But 2/3 times i've tried with Vision, it goes back and forth multiple times. Other than parking within lines, don't think it's logic has been improved.

Reactions: roc-noc
I've had FSD for 2 years and have been a beta tester for about 4 months. I have to be honest that I'm not seeing that their regression testing is advancing to a point that the product is inching closer to wide release anytime soon. It could be several years at this rate. things like right turn into a bicycle lane and other problems just continue to be present. I'm a big fan but it looks like to me that software development alone is not going to get them to level 4. They are probably going to have to admit that they were wrong about the hardware and 100% camera based vision as the solution for autonomous driving.

Trading cars every ~2.5 years I will never pay for FSD again. (3 times burned and no transferability).

I am currently subscribing but when they up that fee do $240+ (20%) I will bail on that and say goodby to the FSD Beta program.

Having an almost 100 mile a day commute most of which is expressway the value proposition will effectively be gone for me.

Elon really missed the boat on allowing transferability to new purchases. I would even be willing to have paid a $2-3k transfer fee.

The only part of my Tesla (5 total now) experience that has been really bad.

Trading cars every ~2.5 years I will never pay for FSD again. (3 times burned and no transferability).

I am currently subscribing but when they up that fee do $240+ (20%) I will bail on that and say goodby to the FSD Beta program.

Having an almost 100 mile a day commute most of which is expressway the value proposition will effectively be gone for me.

Elon really missed the boat on allowing transferability to new purchases. I would even be willing to have paid a $2-3k transfer fee.

The only part of my Tesla (5 total now) experience that has been really bad.
I’d argue the fact that you bought it three times means you think it’s worth it. I mean, there is an alternative conclusion to be made about you but I won’t argue that.

I'd estimate my driving score at about a 36 and I am sure I would never ever be chosen as a beta tester for FSD.
But then again why would I want it. For the privilege of driving like a grandfather??
BTW, no accidents or citations in 40 years. I did however get counseled to put up my window (ooops) on my first quarter mile World Record Breaking (Quickest SUV-Raven) run at the Palm Beach International Raceway. I am remorseful. Amazing, I was the only one there with a handicap permit!
View attachment 754555

I never leave a light slowly. Tesla driving is just way too much fun to put a governor on it. To each their own.
You can go back to your regular driving once you get into FSD beta. I use FSD beta almost every drive and love seeing it improve with most upgrades so far. But I also love pushing out the tail when the roads are wet.

If I thought EAP would ever come back, I would wait and get that, but I don't think that it will. I don't plan to trade up my 2017 S anytime soon. And by that I mean I will probably keep it 5 to 10 more years(got it last year). It has the ventilated seats I want and sunroof. You can still get the ventilated seats in the newer models now, but price is out of my reach, and you cannot get a sunroof anymore. To me, personally, the sunroof is important. I also personally prefer the portrait screen orientation. I think the landscape screen doesn't look "integrated" well compared to the portrait (here's to hoping the roaster sticks with portrait and that helps extend out the UI orientation).

I do believe I will be pulling the trigger on FSD before the price increase (queue incoming beratement from others).

So the fact that....
- I want the EAP features and FSD is the only route
- I plan to keep the car a long time so if FSD does become a reality, even in 3 - 5 years, I will still get good use out of it at a much better price.
- While I would love to be able to transfer it to a new Tesla down the road, I do plan to sell privately when I sell one day, and having FSD will likely increase the sale price so I do think I'll get the value back in the end.

Elon is smart enough to know, that if he sold EAP in the USA for $5k, that the take rate for the novelty act FSD would drop even lower than it is now. So no way he brings back EAP broadly in the USA for anything less than say, $9k. My opinion is that he also knew for example, that there would be no robotaxi service by end of 2020, there would be no way to drive from NYC to LA with no intervention, by end of 2019. But by making those statements, it brings in hundreds of millions in revenue from persons buying FSD and keeping their fingers crossed. He's not a dumb guy by any stretch...he has demonstrated that he knows the capabilities and limits of technology. SpaceX isnt a fluke..

Either way, as someone who has had FSD, EAP, and AP at various points. For ME, the latter is the best overall value..by FAR

Last edited:
If I thought EAP would ever come back, I would wait and get that, but I don't think that it will. I don't plan to trade up my 2017 S anytime soon. And by that I mean I will probably keep it 5 to 10 more years(got it last year). It has the ventilated seats I want and sunroof. You can still get the ventilated seats in the newer models now, but price is out of my reach, and you cannot get a sunroof anymore. To me, personally, the sunroof is important. I also personally prefer the portrait screen orientation. I think the landscape screen doesn't look "integrated" well compared to the portrait (here's to hoping the roaster sticks with portrait and that helps extend out the UI orientation).

I do believe I will be pulling the trigger on FSD before the price increase (queue incoming beratement from others).

So the fact that....
- I want the EAP features and FSD is the only route
- I plan to keep the car a long time so if FSD does become a reality, even in 3 - 5 years, I will still get good use out of it at a much better price.
- While I would love to be able to transfer it to a new Tesla down the road, I do plan to sell privately when I sell one day, and having FSD will likely increase the sale price so I do think I'll get the value back in the end.
In exactly the same boat. Three months into my M3LR and debating dropping 10k now.

Pro: I got it…locked in pricing.
Cons:
Will I keep the car more than five years (doubt it). Cant transfer it.
It doesn’t work. Basic AP works for me and is good enough.
Will existing HW ever be good enough or will I be forced to upgrade to HW4….or 5? At my cost?
I kinda do like driving and I doubt FSD will ever “floor it” and give me “that” acceleration feeling we all love.
My net worth is 2 mill so I got the money but I got here by making wise decisions.
So…
As Sharon Osbourne used to say on AGT, “It’s a no for me”.

Long live free AP.

Reactions: Sporty and roc-noc
In exactly the same boat. Three months into my M3LR and debating dropping 10k now.

Pro: I got it…locked in pricing.
Cons:
Will I keep the car more than five years (doubt it). Cant transfer it.
It doesn’t work. Basic AP works for me and is good enough.
Will existing HW ever be good enough or will I be forced to upgrade to HW4….or 5? At my cost?
I kinda do like driving and I doubt FSD will ever “floor it” and give me “that” acceleration feeling we all love.
My net worth is 2 mill so I got the money but I got here by making wise decisions.
So…
As Sharon Osbourne used to say on AGT, “It’s a no for me”.

Long live free AP.
If you buy FSD you will get future required HW updates for free (another reason to buy, you'll get that value back when you sell).

If my net worth was 2 mil I wouldn't even be thinking twice about this (Just saying...). I'm already over extended, so this is not a smart financial decision on my part, but I'm not thinking with that part of my brain right now, lol.

If you buy FSD you will get future required HW updates for free (another reason to buy, you'll get that value back when you sell).

If my net worth was 2 mil I wouldn't even be thinking twice about this (Just saying...). I'm already over extended, so this is not a smart financial decision on my part, but I'm not thinking with that part of my brain right now, lol.
I wouldn't be driving a new Tesla if I was over extended. I would be driving something cheap that I could afford.

Most people with a high net worth don't waste their money on frivolous things. They know the value of money and have learned how to save and manage it. 😐

I wouldn't be driving a new Tesla if I was over extended. I would be driving something cheap that I could afford.

Most people with a high net worth don't waste their money on frivolous things. They know the value of money and have learned how to save and manage it. 😐
If you were me, then I'd be you. And I'd use your money to buy FSD.

Also, I am not driving a new Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: roc-noc
Adding...it appears that the feasibility to retrofit new functionality is also being phased out. I purchased my MYP last December (few weeks old), so I missed out on the new 12V battery, AMD chip, and all-season tires, among other things. Although purchasing an FSD in full covers future FSD hardware updates, it does not cover additional items that can only be obtained by upgrading to a newer model. Granted this could be supply chain related but reading the tea leaves - seems to be the direction.

In regard to Tesla trade-in. For transparency, the FSD value should be listed as a separate line item and not hidden in the offer. This also goes, with garage opener, acceleration boost add-on, etc. Tesla knows if you have them. If FSD is considered in trade in, show it with a competitive vehicle offer.

Last but not least, when it comes to subscriptions, offer the option of paying annually. It's mentally taxing to pay month after month for marginal progress. Although I am pro-FSD and like the process, justifying every month is difficult. Tesla, I'm sure, is under pressure to show results every month as well which could impact performance. This also helps owners who keep cars for a few years before trade in.

Adding...it appears that the feasibility to retrofit new functionality is also being phased out. I purchased my MYP last December (few weeks old), so I missed out on the new 12V battery, AMD chip, and all-season tires, among other things. Although purchasing an FSD in full covers future FSD hardware updates, it does not cover additional items that can only be obtained by upgrading to a newer model. Granted this could be supply chain related but reading the tea leaves - seems to be the direction.

In regard to Tesla trade-in. For transparency, the FSD value should be listed as a separate line item and not hidden in the offer. This also goes, with garage opener, acceleration boost add-on, etc. Tesla knows if you have them. If FSD is considered in trade in, show it with a competitive vehicle offer.

Last but not least, when it comes to subscriptions, offer the option of paying annually. It's mentally taxing to pay month after month for marginal progress. Although I am pro-FSD and like the process, justifying every month is difficult. Tesla, I'm sure, is under pressure to show results every month as well which could impact performance. This also helps owners who keep cars for a few years before trade in.
I agree 100% on your first two points but disagree on that last. I only want FSD when I am on a road trip. That might happen once or twice a year if I am lucky. For my uses, it should be billed like charging. When I use it, charge me for the minutes, hours, days, weeks or months when I have it turned on. Don't charge me when turned off.

If you want to sell me a $5K, $10K, $12K software license, then it should stay with me, not the car. I am not paying $12K for a license on a car that I may or may not keep for a long time. If they did go to a yearly plan and it stays with the car, then maybe a maximum of $1K per year or I am out. I would like it better by the minute like a cell phone plan or by the mile which would be more fair to the consumer.

I agree 100% on your first two points but disagree on that last. I only want FSD when I am on a road trip. That might happen once or twice a year if I am lucky. For my uses, it should be billed like charging. When I use it, charge me for the minutes, hours, days, weeks or months when I have it turned on. Don't charge me when turned off.

If you want to sell me a $5K, $10K, $12K software license, then it should stay with me, not the car. I am not paying $12K for a license on a car that I may or may not keep for a long time. If they did go to a yearly plan and it stays with the car, then maybe a maximum of $1K per year or I am out. I would like it better by the minute like a cell phone plan or by the mile which would be more fair to the consumer.
You mention "only want FSD when on a road trip" which I dont quite understand - if your only interested in Navigate on AP (lane switching)- personally i think that should be included with standard AP at this point. FSD without beta doesnt provide alot of value at its price point and is insane.

Reactions: roc-noc and Sporty