Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d argue the fact that you bought it three times means you think it’s worth it. “I mean, there is an alternative conclusion to be made about you but I won’t argue that.”
The truth is I bought @elonmusk ‘s pipe dream 3 times. I now realize we will not see anything close to what I was sold (in words) in 2017 and I wouldn’t buy it for $8,000 today…..much less $10k or $12k

Despite how much Elon continues to espouse FSD with no one at the wheel will happen “this year” (how many times have us old timers heard that) it won’t. I am a full on Tesla fanboy but this pipe dream ain’t gonna happen.

Ps I am glad you feel as if you know me well enough to read alternate conclusions. 🙄

Last edited:
Despite how much Elon continues to espouse FSD with no one at the wheel will happen “this year” (how many times have us old timers heard that) it won’t. I am a full on Tesla fanboy but this pipe dream ain’t gonna happen.
What Elon said was the disengage rate is decreasing at a rate that makes it look like FSD will be better than humans this year.

So many assumptions in that. Main problem is the assumption that it will keep falling at the same rate in the future i.e. assumption of straight line reduction.

What Elon said was the disengage rate is decreasing at a rate that makes it look like FSD will be better than humans this year.

So many assumptions in that. Main problem is the assumption that it will keep falling at the same rate in the future i.e. assumption of straight line reduction.
2020 1000 disengagements per 1000 miles
2021 500 disengagements per 1000 miles
2022 0 disengagements per 1000 miles

It's simple math. 🙄

You mention "only want FSD when on a road trip" which I dont quite understand - if your only interested in Navigate on AP (lane switching)- personally i think that should be included with standard AP at this point. FSD without beta doesnt provide alot of value at its price point and is insane.
We are 100% in agreement. That is where I think the upcoming competition from new EVs will help to move Tesla to offer more features on the "free" AP.

This reminds me of when Ford first offered Apple CarPlay. I bought a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium. It came with their new Sync 3 architecture which was a huge upgrade from Sync 2 and included much faster computers. CarPlay wasn't an option at the time but was offered mid year. I only had to buy the special Ford CarPlay USB interface module which was available on Ebay for about $35. Once I installed that, I had CarPlay working for the next 5 years. Over the air updates from both Ford and Apple made it more reliable as time went on. The last few years it was rock solid. I sold the Edge just before I took delivery on my Model S.

At the beginning of that 5 year period, it was rare to find an auto with built in CarPlay support and the price was high (needed premium features). A year ago when I was car shopping, it looked to be a standard feature on most car models and even without premium features. I see the same thing is happening with full featured autopilot on many new cars. It is coming to be expected as standard equipment.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just want to note here that FSD beta can't be used in traffic on 1 line roads. It alway tries to take me into oncoming lane to pass a stop car. In many cases it's multiple stopped cars. I couldn't use FSD beta, but in the past regular AP works fine.

20220102_160906-01.jpeg

I have had it since 2018 as AP EAP w/ NOA -> HW 3 -> FSD Beta. I use it within its capabilities all the time, including Freeways, Highways, City streets. After 3 years I know how to best take advantage of it. Nicki and I drive better together than either of us alone. I love it. It's an integral part of how I use the car, i.e. in assisted supervisory mode.

It's not meant as a "sleep in the back seat" system. It takes a significant load off my driving efforts, and without it I'd be driving a strippy half a Tesla. I don't need a P. I'm very happy with a nimble sport-sedan, I only wish it exhibited less road noise on bad surfaces. I can't afford an S or X. An RWD w/ FSD isn't all that costly, and it's the best car I've ever had. What it's worth to each individual varies.

2020 1000 disengagements per 1000 miles
2021 500 disengagements per 1000 miles
2022 0 disengagements per 1000 miles

It's simple math. 🙄
That 2022 figure is clearly a lie. Have you used the latest beta, it's terrible. I wasn't able to use it for more than a couple of miles before disengaging, I can't believe that I'm the only one who's had the crap scared out of him by FSD Beta. There was a new update this morning, haven't tried it yet but I'll be very much surprise if it's significantly better.

Cyber Truck seems to be as much vapor ware as FSD is. Canceled my FSD subscription…not worth it.
I have a Cybertruck reserved during the reveal, and FSD at $7k. I will remove it at config if FSD still does dumb things.

For example, a poorly parked car on the side of the road could be seen 1/4 mile away. FSD will drive up to it and dart left like it was surprised it popped into view. As a human, we can gradually draft left to go around the parked car in a smooth motion.

Many many dumb things happen with FSD Beta. It's not just edge cases. Maybe I expect too much. I want FSD to drive like me, but it drives like a scared little child.

Just want to note here that FSD beta can't be used in traffic on 1 line roads. It alway tries to take me into oncoming lane to pass a stop car. In many cases it's multiple stopped cars. I couldn't use FSD beta, but in the past regular AP works fine.

There may have been an improvement in this 10.8 onwards.

Earlier FSD would try to repeatedly overtake the cars even if you cancel the lane change. Now it seems if you cancel the lane change once, it won't attempt to take over again. This happened to me once - so, needs confirmation.

But, if this is the case, all you need to do is to cancel the lane change once. After that FSD will sit in traffic and wait.

Reactions: Sporty

View attachment 755456
Yea this is one of those generalized corner cases for FSD that is super hard to solve. I have seen the same thing. Has to figure out how many cars are in front it it, which cars are stopped permanently/which cars are in traffic/how many cars means traffic vs stopped cars you can pass etc etc.

This is something we intuitively solve instantly with our brains, and I don't see how much machine learning you throw at it will be able to solve it, unless they somehow solve AI "intuition" which at that point you'll probably have a sentient machine anyway lol.

There may have been an improvement in this 10.8 onwards.

Earlier FSD would try to repeatedly overtake the cars even if you cancel the lane change. Now it seems if you cancel the lane change once, it won't attempt to take over again. This happened to me once - so, needs confirmation.

But, if this is the case, all you need to do is to cancel the lane change once. After that FSD will sit in traffic and wait.
This was with 10.8. The whole ride down the mountain, FSD wants to go around all those cars. Tested in many spots, but it was all stop and go on the way down. Every time we stop for too long, the car wants to pass on left by cross double yellow.

Also, I was on Chill for AP/navigation.

Went out to dinner tonight in Oakland. How odd. Many people out circling, looking for an open restaurant at 8:00, and all of them closed or just closing. Short on staff. And they complain about "lack of business". Crazy. Finally found a place where the atmosphere was like the ship's mates were running the galley. A bit heavy-handed with the salt. But, hey, they were cooking.

Meanwhile, Nicki had been navigating and driving on 10.8.1 like a dream. On and off and back up onto the freeway, exit here, change lanes there, waiting for the pedestrians, slipping around stopped cars with blinkers on. Tooling up and down the streets like a buttered pancake stack, while I concentrated on looking for open food places. No issues. Best I've ever seen FSD-Beta in action, and I've been slinging that system for over 3 years. So smooth. 10.8.1. Just a joy. Sorry, I have no idea what some people are bitching about.

Except I was really getting ready to drop my wife off the ride to go Uber, as she kept bellyaching about "I don't WANT Sushi again tonight" and slamming back fuming into her seat, having confirmed these guys too are closing. Karenesque. Sheesh!

Went out to dinner tonight in Oakland. How odd. Many people out circling, looking for an open restaurant at 8:00, and all of them closed or just closing. Short on staff. And they complain about "lack of business". Crazy. Finally found a place where the atmosphere was like the ship's mates were running the galley. A bit heavy-handed with the salt. But, hey, they were cooking.

Meanwhile, Nicki had been navigating and driving on 10.8.1 like a dream. On and off and back up onto the freeway, exit here, change lanes there, waiting for the pedestrians, slipping around stopped cars with blinkers on. Tooling up and down the streets like a buttered pancake stack, while I concentrated on looking for open food places. No issues. Best I've ever seen FSD-Beta in action, and I've been slinging that system for over 3 years. So smooth. 10.8.1. Just a joy. Sorry, I have no idea what some people are bitching about.

Except I was really getting ready to drop my wife off the ride to go Uber, as she kept bellyaching about "I don't WANT Sushi again tonight" and slamming back fuming into her seat, having confirmed these guys too are closing. Karenesque. Sheesh!
Just an observation but it sounds like you want to trade Karen in for Nicki. 😄

View attachment 755456
Hey, ive never driven the route, but im guessing "NYC to LA with zero human intervention" has no 2 lane routes.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve