Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12K for FSD is insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But isnt the software is already there?

Obviously not.

See again Elons own quotes about why you shouldn't believe him when he gives you a date to do something he's never done before... how should he (or anyone) know when it'll really be ready?

It'll be done when it's done.

Personally having used the beta for a while, I'm exceedingly dubious the existing HW is sufficient for real general purpose robotaxis anyway.

I do think existing HW (maybe with the driving computer upgrade, which we already know is coming) can probably handle L4 highway driving without really needing a TON more advancement.

And given the vast bulk of my driving is highways I'd be perfectly happy if that's all I ever get for the 3k I paid for FSD.

But for generalized RT city driving they're gonna need probably at least 2 more cameras mounted forward/side facing but ahead of the current b-pillars to see better around corners at intersections.

And we know there's a next-gen camera suite coming too (mentioned by Elon as likely to be introduced on the cybertruck)

Reactions: dbldwn02
It’s true....but only if you are driving in his tunnel
the one that has the traffic jams that it was designed to eliminate?

LOL

At this point? Tesla would be better off if Elon simply turned to reigns over to a (non egotistical, grounded in reality) actual developer/engineer. Like a real one. Then Elon could focus solely on SpaceX. I honestly think that would be the best outcome for both companies.

the one that has the traffic jams that it was designed to eliminate?

No, that's Yet Another BS story.

Even the "video" showing it shows a car taking like 10 seconds longer to reach the station because of ONE car in front of it.

On a total drive that took about 2 minutes, rather than a 20+ minute walk.

And in a situation where the driver specifically mentions 1 of the 3 stations was CLOSED that day, thus increasing traffic to the others.

At this point? Tesla would be better off if Elon simply turned to reigns over to a (non egotistical, grounded in reality) actual developer/engineer. Like a real one.

Elon is an actual engineer.

We've been over that topic exhaustively too.

Everybody that has worked with him- not just FOR him- but in partnerships at NASA and elsewhere- confirm this fact.

Reposting from the last time this nonsense FUD came up:

Link contains numerous quotes from folks like Tom Mueller one of the forespace experts on space propulsion and holder of tons of patents, Kevin Watson who developed avionics at JPL, Garrett Reisman both an engineer and NASA astronaut, Josh Boehm head of software at SpaceX... and from entirely external folks including the founder of Armadillio Aerospace and other engineers and space journalists all confirming Elon is an actual no-BS engineer who actually designs and works on actual engineering stuff all the time.

Or just watch the 3 part SpaceX tour he gave Everyday Astronaut where Elon speaks, repeatedly and in deep technical detail, about the engineering he's part of at SpaceX.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Knightshade
This thread is what happens when you...

I mean, if you wanna list actual things I'd agree Elon has done wrong, there's certainly such things you could list. A fair number of them even. Both related and unrelated to FSD.

For that matter- I even mentioned I don't believe L5 (or even better than L2 for city streets) is possible on the current HW.

But I guess it's easier to dismiss actual facts and attack the person rather than the argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
At any one time there are many versions of Mr Musk’s FSD out there. There is the one you get when you pay the 10k, there’s the one that the Beta testers get, there’s even one that Tesla employees get. So who is to say that there is not another one at Tesla’s development and testing center that is already L5?

At any one time there are many versions of Mr Musk’s FSD out there. There is the one you get when you pay the 10k, there’s the one that the Beta testers get, there’s even one that Tesla employees get. So who is to say that there is not another one at Tesla’s development and testing center that is already L5?

The fact that Teslas testing is done in CA and they'd be required by law to report any miles done L3 or higher to the state--- and that outside of the few miles done at L3 for the Autonomy Day demo that haven't recorded any such miles in many years, and never a single one at L5?

Reactions: dbldwn02
Getting back on topic. My biggest gripe is that the pricing keeps going up to the point where it is now more than 25% of the price of an M3 SR+. Maybe $12k is not that big of a deal on a $100k vehicle but it seems excessive on the $45k average price of a new vehicle, especially since it is not L5. Where does it go from here? Are we really supposed to pay $15k, $20k, $25k, or more in the future?

Reactions: roc-noc
Getting back on topic. My biggest gripe is that the pricing keeps going up to the point where it is now more than 25% of the price of an M3 SR+. Maybe $12k is not that big of a deal on a $100k vehicle but it seems excessive on the $45k average price of a new vehicle, especially since it is not L5. Where does it go from here? Are we really supposed to pay $15k, $20k, $25k, or more in the future?
That depends on how stupid a person is to pay that much money to be part of software testing vs a finished product.

There is an old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"

That depends on how stupid a person is to pay that much money to be part of software testing vs a finished product.

There is an old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"
Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to buy it in 2019 when it was $5k. I don't typically own my cars more than 3-5 years and didn't that realistically happening with this car. At first I thought with all the hype I may be missing out at some point but then I learned more about Tesla and how Elon vision works.

For example, do we really think this car will come with no steering wheel by the end of 2023?

Reactions: 2101Guy

Maybe they’re trying to get fewer customers for fsd.

I paid $6K for FSD, I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now. The idea of paying $12K for something that doesn't work and might never work is crazy. I bet their uptake on FSD is going to drop to near zero after this price increase. Does anyone feel that FSD is worth $12K, now or if even if they achieve Level 4 (note that Elon said Level 4 on is annual by the end of next year it will work tweet, in the past he always said Level 5 so he's losing confidence).
I agree that it’s literally a scam. You can pay $200 per month for the subscription and be better off. You can cancel it at any time, Schick you definitely will when you see that it drives far worse than you would drive.

The sooner you buy the sooner your price per ride can start going down😜

For my first week of FSD, each drive had an average cost of about $500! That was totally worth it to scare the crap out of my brother.

I love FSD and use it every time I drive. I usually keep my cars as long as I can. If I have FSD for ten years, then the cost per ride might be much less than $1 per drive.

• Funny
Reactions: Krash and Sporty