Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v 150w pure sine wave inverter causes MCU to freak out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently bought a 150w 12v pure sine wave inverter to be able to charge my laptop and drone batteries. My laptop only uses 60w and the drone charger uses 87w. When I plug it in, the MCU freaks out and is unusable. Watch the video for reference. Any ideas on what could cause this? Maybe my 12v battery is going bad? I haven't received any error messages

my MCU was replaced last year so it shouldn’t be the issue

@Lectric_Agent, you really had me worried. I just bought a 300W inverter last week for a planned camping trip. I know the 12V will only provide 150W max and that will be plenty for our e-cooler and my CPAP. However, I hadn’t tested the inverter yet...until now, after seeing your post.

As I’m typing this, I have the S in Camp Mode, 68W eCooler and 65W work laptop both plugged into the inverter while I’m watching Hulu on the screen. It has been about 10 minutes and no issues so far.

EDIT: Like OP, I also made sure to get a pure sine-wave inverter.

12EEA871-FEA5-4566-8BF9-212274690F3F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
@Lectric_Agent, you really had me worried. I just bought a 300W inverter last week for a planned camping trip. I know the 12V will only provide 150W max and that will be plenty for our e-cooler and my CPAP. However, I hadn’t tested the inverter yet...until now, after seeing your post.

As I’m typing this, I have the S in Camp Mode, 68W eCooler and 65W work laptop both plugged into the inverter while I’m watching Hulu on the screen. It has been about 10 minutes and no issues so far.

View attachment 652124
That’s great, I’m going to show mobile service when they come out for another issue

Even though it's an Energizer brand that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a cheap inverter.

All inverters make electronic noise from switching, some EMI in the air and some over the power wire. There are supposed to be snubber filters on the power wire to prevent this.

I would suggest putting on a toroidal ferrus core with a few wraps of the power wire through it, but it's just not worth it. Get a better inverter. And don't overload the socket.

View attachment 652124
Which inverter did you get, if you don't mind me asking?