Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
Question for the ignorant, if you used a hotspot rather than premium connectivity, is the car still constantly connected? For example, would you still have dynamic traffic routing in navigation via google? My understanding is no, but I'm not very knowledgeable in these things.
From what I have seen, you lose live traffic. It does not show up for me even when connected to wifi. You just gain back ability to play streaming music and watch streaming videos. The wifi connection is also glitchy, the car tends to automatically disable wifi when you start driving. And even when connected to hotspot, it will randomly lose connection, and your streaming music will stop playing, until you manually reconnect and restart the music. So definitely not as good as having premium connectivity.

Reactions: HP Man
From what I have seen, you lose live traffic. It does not show up for me even when connected to wifi. You just gain back ability to play streaming music and watch streaming videos. The wifi connection is also glitchy, the car tends to automatically disable wifi when you start driving. And even when connected to hotspot, it will randomly lose connection, and your streaming music will stop playing, until you manually reconnect and restart the music. So definitely not as good as having premium connectivity.
Good catch about loosing live traffic. That is BS, given the car is still connected. I suspect this impacts routing decisions by the nav computer. Grrrr...

If I go into settings and hit the check box to have the car stay connected to the hotspot when in drive, it stays connected consistently for me. I use it all the time to access the HiFi tier of Tidal on the dash.

Reactions: WiLz
Has anyone found a higher amperage 12V tap point? I looked through the schematics on service.tesla.com and it doesn't seem like there is an obvious +12V lug to tap into, like on the Model 3.

IF I am reading the schematics right, it looks like the amplifier 12V supply might be the best bet. I think it is a 3 mm2 wire, if am interpreting the code correctly, indicating about 12 awg. Maybe good for 40A? But, no idea since they don't have a traditional fuse box. See diagram below.

Also, silly question, where is the external amp?

Any other good circuits to consider that are powered most of the time or at least whenever the car is awake (sentry mode) ?

1669832538557.png

Has anyone found a higher amperage 12V tap point? I looked through the schematics on service.tesla.com and it doesn't seem like there is an obvious +12V lug to tap into, like on the Model 3.

IF I am reading the schematics right, it looks like the amplifier 12V supply might be the best bet. I think it is a 3 mm2 wire, if am interpreting the code correctly, indicating about 12 awg. Maybe good for 40A? But, no idea since they don't have a traditional fuse box. See diagram below.

Also, silly question, where is the external amp?

Any other good circuits to consider that are powered most of the time or at least whenever the car is awake (sentry mode) ?
Why don't you use the wires comming from the Battery?

Why don't you use the wires comming from the Battery?
On the refresh S/X and probably the new 3/Y with the lithium ion 12v battery you can't draw more than a few amps from the battery before the computer complains or you drain the battery. The charging current to the 12v is very limited. It's separate from the rest of the 12v dcdc system.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
On the refresh S/X and probably the new 3/Y with the lithium ion 12v battery you can't draw more than a few amps from the battery before the computer complains or you drain the battery. The charging current to the 12v is very limited. It's separate from the rest of the 12v dcdc system.
I've got here a 16V battery out of a Model Y with a dead BMS. I was able to get 60A from the battery - maybe more, but my test equipment was limited to 60A.
1669889046115.png

As far as I can see, the cells are CATL NMC 6,9Ah with 50C. So 345A should be ok.

As far as I can see, the cells are CATL NMC 6,9Ah with 50C. So 345A should be ok.

Yes, you can pull high peak current from the battery, but others have reported the charging current is limited to about 6a, so you won't be able to pull much sustained power from the battery.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC