Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla trailer brake ECU adapter (1072586-00-A) definitely fits this connector. Attached picture is the ECU adapter plugged into the connector in the footwell. I’m seeing 12V switched power from the red wire. Black is chassis ground.
I picked up the part today but I cannot find the plug. I looked on the Driverside footwell (Left side) where all the wires come in and plug in. Can you provide any more direction on where I may find it?

BTW was asked for a VIN - I just looked up a model X for sale online and gave him the last 6 numbers and all was good

Thanks
Dave

Reactions: Robotpedlr
I picked up the part today but I cannot find the plug. I looked on the Driverside footwell (Left side) where all the wires come in and plug in. Can you provide any more direction on where I may find it?

BTW was asked for a VIN - I just looked up a model X for sale online and gave him the last 6 numbers and all was good

Thanks
Dave
It’s down at the bottom of the area behind the carpet in front of the left footrest. Remove the small cover/panel in the first picture - pull from the top. Then lift the carpet and door sill up and in to expose the area where the connector is. Hopefully the pictures help. Good luck and let me know if you need any help - I’ll try.

Attachments

• 1DF61579-2404-4AD8-9710-E309153C956B.jpeg
    1DF61579-2404-4AD8-9710-E309153C956B.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 569
  • 9939F6ED-93C1-4217-8181-67120E7961E1.jpeg
    9939F6ED-93C1-4217-8181-67120E7961E1.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 5FFD4565-4E8E-4D0F-9904-0ABA326B06AE.jpeg
    5FFD4565-4E8E-4D0F-9904-0ABA326B06AE.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 379
  • DB7E339B-BFB5-487A-ABA6-133ADE56A270.jpeg
    DB7E339B-BFB5-487A-ABA6-133ADE56A270.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 391
It’s down at the bottom of the area behind the carpet in front of the left footrest. Remove the small cover/panel in the first picture - pull from the top. Then lift the carpet and door sill up and in to expose the area where the connector is. Hopefully the pictures help. Good luck and let me know if you need any help - I’ll try.
Thanks so much. That is where I thought it was based on your first photo. No connector there for me. I see all the same wires as you excluding the connector

Yes I do have the OBD connector.
Good. I can deal if I am only stuck with that. I might consider using the TDP if I really want a switched source.
Can you tell us what your build date is? @Hawkdriver , can you please do the same? I would love to hear from others too.

I have a hard time imagining that they would make any changes so soon, especially while rushing to get deliveries out. Maybe they were unable to get the proper MS harness in, so they used what they had from X's, or Y's, and now they have the proper ones.

The refreshed Model S probably has a trailer package coming, so that connector is likely actually for it. The parts catalog calls the removable panel at the rear "COVER ASSY - TOW HITCH, FASCIA, RR, MSP2" and the configurator has hidden code regarding a tow package.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
The refreshed Model S probably has a trailer package coming, so that connector is likely actually for it. The parts catalog calls the removable panel at the rear "COVER ASSY - TOW HITCH, FASCIA, RR, MSP2" and the configurator has hidden code regarding a tow package.
Yet, @SailorDave does not seem to have one. Either Tesla added it after he got his, eliminated it before, or it's there and he hasn't found it. Definitely need a few more people to look, and confirm build date.
@Hawkdriver , when did you take deliver?

Yet, @SailorDave does not seem to have one. Either Tesla added it after he got his, eliminated it before, or it's there and he hasn't found it. Definitely need a few more people to look, and confirm build date.
@Hawkdriver , when did you take deliver?
I took delivery on 30 June. Manufacture date is 06/21. I would be really surprised if they all didn’t have the connector - my first thought is that it’s buried behind the other wire bundles somewhere. Although, I’ve seen stranger so you never know and by no means would I ever claim to be an expert.

Here's what I did for constant 12v (Actually 15.5v) in the rear.
I tapped into the rear body control module. It's about a 12awg wire so it's rated for at least 20A.
I fused my accessory cigarette lighter and usb plugs to a 5A fuse.
View attachment 714308
View attachment 714309
View attachment 714310
Can you please help me clarify? First, where exactly is the rear body control panel and that photo?
Is this switched or unswitched?
Finally, what do you have plugged in there?

Can you please help me clarify? First, where exactly is the rear body control panel and that photo?
Is this switched or unswitched?
Finally, what do you have plugged in there?
It's located on the rear passenger wheel well. Behind/Right of the accessory plugs I installed. Same location as the older S, just an updated configuration.
It's unswitched.
Looks like it also powers the LTE and WiFi modem which is installed behind the license plate.
I use the socket to primarily power my 12/24V refrigerator and the USB-C PD receptacles are always on too so I can charge my laptop etc. while I'm away.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9