Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a switched 12V source up front, I used the power wires for the wireless charger. Its underneath the charger and easy to access. The feeders are 14GA.
I used this to power my ALP laser jammer.
I am hooking up an ALP also (once my car arrives). Where did you go through the firewall for the leads going to the ALP heads. Also, did you go with two regular heads up front or did you add a TX head?
Thanks

Reactions: cmarshack
FYI, I attempted to draw power from the OBD2 port to supply my ALP laser jammer. When I had the ALP control box disconnected I would measure 15.5VDC. But as soon as I plugged in the control box the power from the OBD2 port dropped to 5VDC. I don't know if the car was cutting power to the port.
The control box doesn't draw much power, its rated at a max of 1500mA.
As mentioned earlier I'm powering my switched devices from the wireless charger line power.
Anyone else experience difficulties connecting to the OBD port?

FYI, I attempted to draw power from the OBD2 port to supply my ALP laser jammer. When I had the ALP control box disconnected I would measure 15.5VDC. But as soon as I plugged in the control box the power from the OBD2 port dropped to 5VDC. I don't know if the car was cutting power to the port.
The control box doesn't draw much power, its rated at a max of 1500mA.
As mentioned earlier I'm powering my switched devices from the wireless charger line power.
Anyone else experience difficulties connecting to the OBD port?
Good to know. I will hook up blackvue and see what happens and report back.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
I am hooking up an ALP also (once my car arrives). Where did you go through the firewall for the leads going to the ALP heads. Also, did you go with two regular heads up front or did you add a TX head?
Thanks
I ran my wires from inside the driver's footwell, into the door jamb, by just sliding them under the trim piece seen in this photo on another thread. Actually, that is not correct. I moved that piece to gain access, but actually ran it under the rubber seals that are just outside that piece, and in the jamb itself. The piece he is pointing at with his magnetic wand is where I am talking about. Then, if you look forward, inside that door jamb, towards the top, there is a vertical hole, about 1" long and 1/4" wide. I inserted a wire stick/pull into that hole and worked my way up under the hood trim (which you need to remove). I last did this 3 years ago, and did this on 3 different MS's, sometimes easily, and sometimes it took a few tries. I think once I stuck an LED light on the end so I could find it. I also ran an extra wire, in case I ever needed to pull another cable.
You will have some wires minimallyexposed in the door jamb, but they lay flat and never caused me any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robotpedlr
I ran my wires from inside the driver's footwell, into the door jamb, by just sliding them under the trim piece seen in this photo on another thread. Actually, that is not correct. I moved that piece to gain access, but actually ran it under the rubber seals that are just outside that piece, and in the jamb itself. The piece he is pointing at with his magnetic wand is where I am talking about. Then, if you look forward, inside that door jamb, towards the top, there is a vertical hole, about 1" long and 1/4" wide. I inserted a wire stick/pull into that hole and worked my way up under the hood trim (which you need to remove). I last did this 3 years ago, and did this on 3 different MS's, sometimes easily, and sometimes it took a few tries. I think once I stuck an LED light on the end so I could find it. I also ran an extra wire, in case I ever needed to pull another cable.
You will have some wires minimallyexposed in the door jamb, but they lay flat and never caused me any issues.
Thanks.. will use that as a back up plan as I hope to find a clean hole thought the FW. I had one on my 2017 (it was the hole used for the high voltage cables...but worked for my needs). I dont have my car yet, so will 'dig" into it once I get it.

Thanks.. will use that as a back up plan as I hope to find a clean hole thought the FW. I had one on my 2017 (it was the hole used for the high voltage cables...but worked for my needs). I dont have my car yet, so will 'dig" into it once I get it.
This is good to know. Once you get your vehicle, I would appreciate your findings. I am always looking for a good hole to explore. Oh sugar, I've just been canceled.

• Funny
Reactions: Robotpedlr and Bull