Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a switched source.. When I enter the car it turns the radar on, otherwise when locked away it is off.. I will agree its terrifying to tap into but I have done dozens of radar installs and pretty much have been tapping for 20 years. The trick is to have a fresh razor blade, slice a bit of the skin off the wire, do the same to the v1 wire, touch em together, then intsert the alligator tap to lock it all in and then black electrical tape to freeze it in place so it will not wiggle. Perhaps im just cut out to be a surgeon lol as I do agree it takes a Very careful hand and delicacy.

The tesla tap was by far the thinnist and most nerve wracking of all Ive ever done but once done and taped up, its solid and works great and you can stuff all the extra wiring and V1 connections into the roof liner along the windshield, plenty of space.. I also stick my radar direct to the right side of the mirror at the top of the windshield / headliner so its always out of the way, stays hidden, and no wires anywhere or bulk in my vison.
Does anyone know if this connector on the left can be used for power or what’s it’s used for?
37C99D31-5DAC-48F6-A452-3A7321CAA934.jpeg

For a switched 12V source up front, I used the power wires for the wireless charger. Its underneath the charger and easy to access. The feeders are 14GA.
I used this to power my ALP laser jammer.
Also tried this and tapped the only wire that had power (YELLOW) and it was a constant power line. Power didn't shut off when I turned the car off so won't work for V1 radar
tempImage8zpHw3.jpg
tempImagezO2O2g.jpg

I wired in my Valentine 1 radar on my Plaid to the mirror / front camera housing. There is only one spot, it runs about 5-7v, its the red and black wire I believe on the 4 prong connector (has a purple and brown as well) located driver side under the rear view mirror main cover.. its a Very thin wire so you must be ultra delicate working with it. That is the only tappable line in that area.. all others including under headliner light connectors do not work or give a variable signal.

I have had the radar working for a week now.. However, today for the first time I have a car malfunction, adaptive suspension reduced, traction control reduced, steering reduced. I powered off the car and let it sit for 15min and it worked fine. I think I glitched the computer by hitting the brake as I was getting in the car causing multiple start ups to over lap (the AC, screen, and powertrain)... I do Not think it is associated with my radar tapping because its a front camera thing and all my cameras and such worked just fine and had no faults.. I also unplugged the radar to eliminate current draw and it didnt change the error so 99% they are unrelated... ***I will follow up again here with an Edit if it happens again so if you dont see an update here then do not worry....***

As far as im concerned its a done deal, works great, no issues and a good source.. The valentine runs on 5v+ per manual, so if your looking for a full 12v look elsewhere. I did find one 12v-14v line also to the interior camera but I believe it had major swings and although my V1 turned on, it did not like the power source for some reason and gave a wierd half lit screen on the radar with no control over functions
Can you explain how to get to this wire/connector. Not sure where to start on removing the front camera housing. I took a look around that area and the only visible wires is a black and blue that is connected to the windshield.
IMG_C32B15737841-1.jpeg

Can you explain how to get to this wire/connector. Not sure where to start on removing the front camera housing. I took a look around that area and the only visible wires is a black and blue that is connected to the windshield.
View attachment 724561
I for one will definitely not connect anything at the front camera housing. I think it is asking for problems. I have the trailer hitch connector so will use that. Otherwise I would use the OBD port or the "cigarette lighter" power in the center console. My .02

I for one will definitely not connect anything at the front camera housing. I think it is asking for problems. I have the trailer hitch connector so will use that. Otherwise I would use the OBD port or the "cigarette lighter" power in the center console. My .0
I for one will definitely not connect anything at the front camera housing. I think it is asking for problems. I have the trailer hitch connector so will use that. Otherwise I would use the OBD port or the "cigarette lighter" power in the center console. My .02
obd port on the driver side footwell? Couldn’t get it to work with my v1 Saavy and don’t know which wire to tap into. Any idea?

Re the cigarette lighter in the console how do you to the wire from behind? Not sure how hard it is to remove the entire console.

obd port on the driver side footwell? Couldn’t get it to work with my v1 Saavy and don’t know which wire to tap into. Any idea?

Re the cigarette lighter in the console how do you to the wire from behind? Not sure how hard it is to remove the entire console.
@4SUPER9 lists the OBD wires in post #1 of this thread.

As I recall from another post somewhere there may also be tappable power from the back of the dash wireless charger.

You probably only have to remove a side panel on the center console. I'm guessing passenger side based on previous years. I have not done so on a refresh though. Tesla is replacing the wood on my console in a few weeks and I will be asking the tech how to do it.

I can't help much more on those because I'm going with the trailer connector. I have seen posts where people have done both but have not gone down that path. Hopefully someone will add that info here.

The wire from the Cigarette lighter plug can be found running on the passenger side of the console running from the plug to the footwell area. It is in a bundle and is the larger (thicker) red wire. pic attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.10.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.10.18 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 208

I heard somewhere, either here or in another thread, that the OBD yields 12v at first, then changes to 5v when under way (or something). It would be nice to have some confirmation about this. All of my 3 prior MS’s did not have this issue.

I can't help much more on those because I'm going with the trailer connector. I have seen posts where people have done both but have not gone down that path. Hopefully someone will add that info here.
This sucks. I was really looking forward to using that connector, and already have the adapter on hand with crimped ends. I would love to see if anyone else with a later VIN has it. My guess is that they were running low on MS wiring harnesses and borrowed some from MX’s that were not being produced.