Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting a couple pics of how I tapped.

I was able to use a mirror tap cable.

If you look close there is a slit on one side of the connector that was just wide enough to get the blade in. VERY tight.
I also trimmed the blades shorter.

Not thrilled with how Radar Detector looks from the outside for prying eyes.
I might put a little splash of tint or something to hide it better.
I'd never run a blend mount for that reason. Stands out too much.

Other than that it came out good.

I debated running wire down to Brake Controller. Little harder to hide from Service if they poke around.
I can take the small cap of the mirror cover and tuck the whole wire inside when I have car serviced.
I don't trust ANY dealer voiding warranty on ANY mod.
I didn't like the idea of tapping the camera that is driving the car, but it was so easy and clean.

51980881035_9c3a8ed76a_b_d.jpg

51980602384_c9fb16ee71_b_d.jpg

51979319162_9250498971_b_d.jpg
One more pic.

That little cap was harder to get back on than I expected. It's pretty close to the mirror too.

So I notched it. I might be able to push the wire in without taking cover off. But that might be risky.

51981020410_bac0823592_b_d.jpg

Just posting a couple pics of how I tapped.

I was able to use a mirror tap cable.

If you look close there is a slit on one side of the connector that was just wide enough to get the blade in. VERY tight.
I also trimmed the blades shorter.

Not thrilled with how Radar Detector looks from the outside for prying eyes.
I might put a little splash of tint or something to hide it better.
I'd never run a blend mount for that reason. Stands out too much.

Other than that it came out good.

I debated running wire down to Brake Controller. Little harder to hide from Service if they poke around.
I can take the small cap of the mirror cover and tuck the whole wire inside when I have car serviced.
I don't trust ANY dealer voiding warranty on ANY mod.
I didn't like the idea of tapping the camera that is driving the car, but it was so easy and clean.

51980881035_9c3a8ed76a_b_d.jpg

51980602384_c9fb16ee71_b_d.jpg

51979319162_9250498971_b_d.jpg
How do you remove the mirror? I can't get the larger panel off without removing the mirror. Thanks!

For those that tapped the green and black wire in the mirror does your radar turn off?
I wired my V1 with the positive to the green and negative to black and haven't seen the radar turn off at all.
Ok, I re-wired my Valentine 1 as I have found a better 12v source which turns off when the car powers off.. I cannot edit my previous posts, but If your reading this, I suggest you ignore my past advice on where to splice (the wires were too small and did not always give signal).. There is no need to run extensive wiring around the car.. simply tap into the green and black wire as shown in the picture under the mirror cover and your all set.. I stuffed the excess wiring in the headliner, and I mount my radar to the side as can be seen.. It picks up all signals front and back.. No issues at all with this setup..

Cheers

Positive is the green, Negative is the Black.. Straight forward!

View attachment 751395View attachment 751396

For those that tapped the green and black wire in the mirror does your radar turn off?
I wired my V1 with the positive to the green and negative to black and haven't seen the radar turn off at all.
I forget what colors I used. I posted back in this thread I think. But I tapped the camera power and it definitely shuts off. And doesn't take long. Been working perfect. You cannot tap the connector on the mirror.

Sentry is off at home but on everywhere else. The radar stays on no matter where I'm at.

I looked at your pictures again. And it looks like you may have tapped into another bundle of wires which were red and black. Can you confirm?
Sorry I can't remember but I recall the colors not being intuitive like Red and Black. But I do know it was critical to tap that connector.

I'm 99% sure I found it called out by color earlier in this thread by someone else which is why I didn't repeat it. Sorry.

Hey, im the one who posted about the black and green wire taps.. Mine does turn off when the car goes into a deep sleep.. usually after 20-30 min.. if you check on your car after an hour (dont bring your key or it will wake up the car).. you should be able to see the radar is also off.. also I keep sentry mode off in general, but I dont think that has any effect on the radar.. You just need to wait till it goes into deep sleep mode..

Last edited:
I successfully wired up to the right angled OBD mentioned earlier in the thread. When I went in for service last week, I simply unplugged the CanBus OBD plug, and tucked it up under the magnetically held kick panel.
On installation, I ran the wire from near the mirror, along the headliner, down the A pillar, down near the speaker grill, then under that dash. The only thing I removed were the 2 parts at the end of the dash, where the door opens, and, the magnetic kick panel.
I incorporated the hardwire remote mute kit, that works with my Uniden R7. It is mounted with velcro, just down from the bottom left corner of the center display. It is within easy reach. It does go off as the car shuts down. 3-5 minutes.

Hey, im the one who posted about the black and green wire taps.. Mine does turn off when the car goes into a deep sleep.. usually after 20-30 min.. if you check on your car after an hour (dont bring your key or it will wake up the car).. you should be able to see the radar is also off.. also I keep sentry mode off in general, but I dont think that has any effect on the radar.. You just need to wait till it goes into deep sleep mode..
I'll check again but I've checked after several hours without a key or anything and it was still on. It was parked in my garage with sentry off so not sure if that makes any difference. Mine is a 22 with refresh lights so hopefully that isn't the issue.

I successfully wired up to the right angled OBD mentioned earlier in the thread….It does go off as the car shuts down. 3-5 minutes.

I'll check again but I've checked after several hours without a key or anything and it was still on. It was parked in my garage with sentry off so not sure if that makes any difference. Mine is a 22 with refresh lights so hopefully that isn't the issue.
I am getting the impression that there are differences in builds. My OBD shuts my radar down instantly. I find that to actually be annoying. If I open the trunk or passenger door, the radar goes through its powering up cycle. As soon as I close the door, it shuts down. Then, I get into the drivers door and it powers back up. A delay of a couple of minutes would be most welcome.

I am getting the impression that there are differences in builds. My OBD shuts my radar down instantly. I find that to actually be annoying. If I open the trunk or passenger door, the radar goes through its powering up cycle. As soon as I close the door, it shuts down. Then, I get into the drivers door and it powers back up. A delay of a couple of minutes would be most welcome.
My S refresh does that on the Rear View Mirror Camera Power tap. My radar detector connects to my phone on power up and I get a Voice message on the phone in my pocket when it connects. For each door and hatch 😉I prefer that behavior even though it can be annoying at times.

Oh for reference my car is usually plugged in and I never use scheduled charging.

I wonder if one of the other settings in the car effects it, like leaving headlights on when exiting, cabin over heat protection or something. I bet one or two has a side effect. I doubt it’s different builds, but ya never know with Tesla. Probably effect phantom drain if that’s the case too.

On my Raven X, tapped into Rear View mirror it had a much longer delay to shutdown so didn’t go up and down with each door.

On my Model 3 I tapped the rear audio power amp. That seemed to stay on when ever the car was not in a deep sleep. It was interesting the audio power amps were on so much while parked and empty. It was kind of handy to know if the car was truly sleeping by looking at the radar detector power light.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
I've been watching it though out the day and have caught it off a few times. It's so crazy that it varies though. Sometime it's an hour sometimes its 10 minutes but it's definitely turning off at some point.

On my 2021 I tapped a different wire near the 12volt plug and it turns off once the door locks.

Yes. It won’t turn off while the vehicle is charging. It will, however, turn off after it goes to sleep. That’s when it’s not charging and just parked. Usually takes 30min-1 hr if it’s just sitting there. If you use your phone as a key, that will wake the car when it’s near and that starts the process all over again

Reactions: Rambino