Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It won’t turn off while the vehicle is charging. It will, however, turn off after it goes to sleep. That’s when it’s not charging and just parked. Usually takes 30min-1 hr if it’s just sitting there. If you use your phone as a key, that will wake the car when it’s near and that starts the process all over again

I think you have it figured out.. Im glad I was able to find you guys the direct wire tap.. Ill admit, I must have tapped at least 4 other spots first trying to get a signal... not the best way to do it, but in the end it seems we all have a solid solution now and an understanding for its sleep mode. Ive been running mine this way for 4-5 months now and have not had any issues with the V1 setup this way..

Here's what I did for constant 12v (Actually 15.5v) in the rear.
I tapped into the rear body control module. It's about a 12awg wire so it's rated for at least 20A.
I fused my accessory cigarette lighter and usb plugs to a 5A fuse.
View attachment 714308
View attachment 714309
View attachment 714310

I did the same install but mine will shut off eventually. It is not a constant on source for me.
Are you sure this is a constant source for you? It seemed that way at first but it did eventually shut off.

Has anyone removed a mirror to mirror tap a recently built 2022 s refresh? Mine was built in June and the mirror will not budge when trying to twist it.
You sure you twisted the correct direction?
It’s a non intuitive motion. But very easy once you get it.

I’m not sure how the person above tapped the wires without removing it. But it’s easier to remove it.

You sure you twisted the correct direction?
It’s a non intuitive motion. But very easy once you get it.

I’m not sure how the person above tapped the wires without removing it. But it’s easier to remove it.
It would not budge, but I was able to detach the green/black harness from the clip to get some extra length and tap them. So it is possible to tap the green and black without removing the mirror.

Reactions: Rambino
Another ask out the community on this one. Now that my 12 months of free premium connectivity has expired, I'd rather put that monthly $10 bucks toward always-on 5g hotspot in the car for Tidal HiFi, etc.
Look up teslatap on YouTube. He has a wire tap kit that’s easy to install that I use for my radar detector. It’s always on if you have sentry on. Otherwise shuts off after 5 minutes after car is in park. He sells the kit through eBay. Super easy install. This will only work on refresh/plaid S/X

Another ask out the community on this one. Now that my 12 months of free premium connectivity has expired, I'd rather put that monthly $10 bucks toward always-on 5g hotspot in the car for Tidal HiFi, etc.

That's an interesting point. Once you buy the hotspot, you should start saving costs over the long term. Also, if you are on Google Fi, you get up to 4 extra sim cards for data only free. So, if you are paying $65 / mo for Google Fi, you have unlimited data on all your devices, including car, potentially.

Does anyone know if it works as well with a wifi hotspot as through Tesla's premium connectivity?

Question for the ignorant, if you used a hotspot rather than premium connectivity, is the car still constantly connected? For example, would you still have dynamic traffic routing in navigation via google? My understanding is no, but I'm not very knowledgeable in these things.