Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Accessory Circuit connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

appleguru

Mar 15, 2017
MA, US
Tesla has an informative looking document titled "Model S Spare 12V Power Circuit" (they have one for the model x too...)...

In this, they show us the location of a spare switched 12V accessory circuit with up to 15A of capacity (connected to fuse F33 on older cars or F202 on newer ones).

I found the relevant harness on my car (which was not very easy to get to...), but it's a big connector with lots of wires plugged in. How exactly are we supposed to "tap into" this spare circuit? remove the 12V wires? Quicksplice onto them? The document has no helpful information at all other than identifying the wires that can be used. I assume they expect people to quick splice onto them?

I called my local service center and they were beyond less than helpful (as I'm sure they are told to be when a customer calls with a question like this.. but.. seriously?)

Does anyone make a mating connector that can be inserted in-between the existing M and F connectors to tap power without making any destructive modifications? connectors appear to be a Sumitomo 6098-5604 (Female) and 6098-5594 (Male)

Document is "CD-15-17-001_Model_S_Spare_12V_Power_Circuit_R1.pdf"; I got it from service.teslamotors.com

(The model X's is "CD-16-17-001_Model_X_Spare_12V_Power_Circuit.pdf")

Connector on my late 2016 AP2 car is on the right hand side of the "premium center console" by the floor. You have to remove the floormat, pop off the front of the right trim piece (not the whole thing), and then remove the carpeted closeout panel underneath. There is a little white clip holding it in place; The red with white stripe wire is switched 12V (Fuse 202), and either of the big black wires on the end of the connector are chassis ground.

The document has a few photos, but I'm not sure if I can share... I'll try and take some of my own and upload shortly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mewtwo
Thanks for sharing. Recommend not posting the document as it is probably coyrighted and any one who wants to obtain the document has to pay access fee.
However, there is a spare 12V connection behind the grill above rearview mirror and you can also access 12V power through the OBD II port.

Reactions: NomoC8
Hopefully these help... red with white stripe is spare +12v, black wires on end of connector is ground.

I know about the other 12V sources; Tesla specifically says that they recommend using this circuit for 3rd party accessories (while also disclaiming any liability..)

We don't know how much load we can put on the other 12v sources, nor do we know what else is on there. This, as far as I can tell, is a dedicated circuit.

I'll see if I can't source the connectors and make an adapter. Am also curious where this circuit actually ends (as it appears it may be passed through this connector?)

Attachments

• IMG_8105.JPG
    IMG_8105.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_8107.JPG
    IMG_8107.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_8109.JPG
    IMG_8109.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_8110.JPG
    IMG_8110.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_8111.JPG
    IMG_8111.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_8115.JPG
    IMG_8115.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_8122.JPG
    IMG_8122.JPG
    543.3 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_8123.JPG
    IMG_8123.JPG
    591.1 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_8130.JPG
    IMG_8130.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 786
Document is "CD-15-17-001_Model_S_Spare_12V_Power_Circuit_R1.pdf"; I got it from service.teslamotors.com

(The model X's is "CD-16-17-001_Model_X_Spare_12V_Power_Circuit.pdf")

Connector on my late 2016 AP2 car is on the right hand side of the "premium center console" by the floor. You have to remove the floormat, pop off the front of the right trim piece (not the whole thing), and then remove the carpeted closeout panel underneath. There is a little white clip holding it in place; The red with white stripe wire is switched 12V (Fuse 202), and either of the big black wires on the end of the connector are chassis ground.

The document has a few photos, but I'm not sure if I can share... I'll try and take some of my own and upload shortly.

Thanks. There's another thread here on TMC about this connector. I spent some time trying to source the other half mate to that connector. No luck. After that didn't pan out, Some of these connectors used on Tesla also have a part number on the connector. I opened my console to get to the connector on my '17. My Mar built '17 does not have that harness or connector at the console.

I agree with ABVA about the location of two other power sources.

Good pics, appleguru.

However, there is a spare 12V connection behind the grill above rearview mirror ...

I have heard that not all cars have this connector. Early cars (like mine) did. It was supposed to be for illuminated vanity mirrors and, in fact, the fuse that supplies it is labeled "Vanity Mirrors" in my fuse block diagram. I had heard it was removed after the idea of lighted mirrors went away, but may have been reinstated on newer cars.

I have heard that not all cars have this connector. Early cars (like mine) did. It was supposed to be for illuminated vanity mirrors and, in fact, the fuse that supplies it is labeled "Vanity Mirrors" in my fuse block diagram. I had heard it was removed after the idea of lighted mirrors went away, but may have been reinstated on newer cars.

I believe this connector is actually now for the "intrusion detection" sensors, which are not available on US cars as an option (but come standard on European car's?)

Curious if anyone from Europe can confirm. My car has the extra cable with "always connected" +12v behind the microphone grill.

• Love
Reactions: kindred7
I believe this connector is actually now for the "intrusion detection" sensors, which are not available on US cars as an option (but come standard on European car's?)

Curious if anyone from Europe can confirm. My car has the extra cable with "always connected" +12v behind the microphone grill.
Yes, it was for a intrusion detection device. I've seen a picture of the module installed in that location behind the grille of a EU version of the S. I installed my dashcam in '14 using that connector and it took me more than two years to find the matching mate connector to it. I retrofitted that S and my second S to use that graceful connection to the car. I posted that info in another thread here about dashcam installations and provided it to Teslatap.com so he could add the info to his master guide for dashcam installations.

Yes, it was for a intrusion detection device. I've seen a picture of the module installed in that location behind the grille of a EU version of the S. I installed my dashcam in '14 using that connector and it took me more than two years to find the matching mate connector to it. I retrofitted that S and my second S to use that graceful connection to the car. I posted that info in another thread here about dashcam installations and provided it to Teslatap.com so he could add the info to his master guide for dashcam installations.

Yup, indeed that's what it is for. Looks like that one is on a 5A fuse, F100 in the front (Frunk?) Fusebox. So, if you keep your load under 40W, you should be OK (would blow at 60W... Unclear what else if anything is on there, though without the Intrusion option, it may well be unused for anything else.

That connector appears to be an AMP / TE MQS series, PN 1241634-1:

1241634-1 TE Connectivity AMP Connectors | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

What was the mating connector you found?

Do the 4pin MTA 100 connectors also work? I have a bunch of those, and seems like soldering two wires would be easier than crimping without the proper tool...
Yes, a little awkward at times. And sometimes the sides on that black connector need to be trimmed to fit and stay connected. A wrap of black electrician's tape will help it stay. But those of us with Obsessive Compulsive Behavior (not Disorder) are too picky to use anything but what looks factory. For instance, look at my trunk lighting solution to make it look factory.
New use in the trunk for Abstract Ocean’s bright LED trunk/puddle lights

I'll probably just get the right connectors (if I can find someone that will sell the pins not on a reel of 13000 ;-))

Any recommendations for a switched 12V source up my the mirror for a radar detector?
Those are the same pins needed for the puddle light and trunk light housings (connectors). I've already used nearly all of the 100 cut strip that I bought. Yes, you can get a 100 pin cut strip.

For the radar detector, I would use the same mic wire and split it then connect it to a single channel remote control switch you can gt on Amazon for <$18. Now you have a simple source.

You can order this cable off of Amazon for $5. It is a perfect fit. Just cut the end off that you dont need and use the wires to connect your power. If I remember correctly, the red wire from the new plug will connect to the ground for your camera (which is black) and the blue wire from the new plug will go to the Red of your camera (which is the power).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DN7B8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did the Add-a-Fuse work? I am thinking about doing the same to add power to the Trunk or Frunk in the M3 when it arrives. Often travel with a powered cooler. I know there is the outlet between the seats but would be nice to have one easy to get to like on my current trunk.

-Randy