Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v accessory heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had any luck getting a 12v accessory heater to work?

My recent loss of heat in -35 weather (now fixed by the SC, full heat pump / supermanifold replacement) has me worried this might happen again. I want to keep a small 12v accessory heater in the car just in case.

I bought this one from a local hardware store: Ilink 12 Volt 150 Watt Ceramic Heater | Home Hardware

However, it just immediately trips the E-fuse for the accessory plug. I've tried it with the car on and in drive (I'd read in other threads this might make a difference), but it still just trips the fuse after less than 5secs. It's supposed to draw 13A at 12v.

Anyone had any luck with other models? I think my accessory port is fine as I've used it in the past to inflate tires (using the Tesla branded pump).

The accessory 12v power is rated for 16 amps. I wonder if your heater is either shorted or pulls far more than the rated 13 amps. It could be when cold, it pulls a lot more than 16 amps, and that is why it's tripping the electronic fuse. Often devices like this only show the current when warmed up and they may take far more current when first turned on.

Reactions: sandman1330