Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Accessory Socket fails when I use it to power my 12A portable air compressor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone help me or try this in their Model 3?

Monday morning I had low air in my tires so I figured I'll top off. I plugged in my portable air compressor (same 12 amp one I've used for years in my ICE car) and when I tried to use it, the "fuse" blew. I waited a few hours to reset and it blew again.

Next, when I sit in the car and step on the brake, I plugged it in and it worked...

So I figured I'll just step on the brake then go pump air, nope. It blew again...

The portable air compressor works when I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but the fuse blows when I get out and actually try to pump air into the car.

Next, I just tried a phone charger and it works no matter what. Probably due to lower amps?

Do we really need someone in the driver's seat to use the full power of the 12v socket?

The only thing I can say about this is that a phone charger is MUCH lower current draw than any one of those portable air compressor units, so you can't compare those two.
I'm curious what the rater max amp draw is for that outlet.

Oh, and I think you mean circuit breaker, not fuse.

The only thing I can say about this is that a phone charger is MUCH lower current draw than any one of those portable air compressor units, so you can't compare those two.
I'm curious what the rater max amp draw is for that outlet.

Oh, and I think you mean circuit breaker, not fuse.

Yeah I know the car charger is much lower. So I guess since they added sentry mode, the 12v socket operates at a much lower rate when not operating/driving.

I said "fuse" in quotes to make it simple lol. I know we don't have fuses but just said it help explain what's going on.

It's just driving me crazy someone has to to be in the driver's seat to operate at full power of the socket. I hope this isn't true and it's just my car. Hopefully someone can confirm before I schedule a service appointment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm having the same issue. I have a Slime 12V air inflator that was a carry over from my ICE car. It works when I'm sitting in the driver seat, but trips the circuit breaker when I'm outside actually trying to use it. My current solution is to have my wife present and sitting in the driver seat while I inflate the tires...

Monday morning I had low air in my tires so I figured I'll top off. I plugged in my portable air compressor (same 12 amp one I've used for years in my ICE car) and when I tried to use it, the "fuse" blew. I waited a few hours to reset and it blew again.

Next, when I sit in the car and step on the brake, I plugged it in and it worked...

So I figured I'll just step on the brake then go pump air, nope. It blew again...

The portable air compressor works when I'm sitting in the driver's seat, but the fuse blows when I get out and actually try to pump air into the car.

Next, I just tried a phone charger and it works no matter what. Probably due to lower amps?

Do we really need someone in the driver's seat to use the full power of the 12v socket?
I ran a very old portable air compressor (probably from the 90’s) in mine. I never sat in the car with the compressor running. (One tire from ~10psi to 45)

Is the condition of your air compressor adequate?

A lot of cigarette lighters in ICE cars run through a fuse and then straight to the battery. It would be nice to see how many AMPS your compressor is pulling.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
You can run the lowest amp compressor and it will “blow” 10/10. The 3’s just over protective ever since they updated the software leaving the USB’s always powered. Prior to this, my friend had zero issues. I got my 3 afterwards so I can’t confirm.

It's pretty common problem in all cars. You just were lucky that it didn't happen in your older car. So many of these air compressors are really cheap and while "rated" at 12A, could be pulling a LOT more, especially on startup.

Yeah I know the car charger is much lower. So I guess since they added sentry mode, the 12v socket operates at a much lower rate when not operating/driving.

I said "fuse" in quotes to make it simple lol. I know we don't have fuses but just said it help explain what's going on.

It's just driving me crazy someone has to to be in the driver's seat to operate at full power of the socket. I hope this isn't true and it's just my car. Hopefully someone can confirm before I schedule a service appointment.

Sitting in the driver seat has no impact on whether or not you're getting 'full' amperage out of the 12V input. Do you have the compressor attached to a tire when you test this in drivers seat? If not, it's not under full load so it won't draw full current.

Alternatively, if you DO have it connected to a tire while in drivers seat with no issues... it's probably just a coincidence. As the compressor heats up, the motor could start drawing more amps. So as you use it more, eventually, 'pop'.

Having read this thread after ordering an air compressor I have been quite worried that I'd have problems. However I tried it this morning, greatly relieved no problem at all, didn't need anyone in any seat, no fuses went, all well! Hardest part was locating the 12v outlet!

If it's helpful, this is the compressor (from Amazon £38 in UK) Ring Automotive Ring RTC1000 12V Rapid Preset Digital, Air Compressor Pump, .

And no, I am not connected with the company in any way, LOL!

E4280D19-12F0-4307-BBDF-B0C099336420.jpeg
Nice. I would hold on to it.

Curious can you provide details of total amps on it? I’ve tried 7 different ones and all blew so I gave up.

Sorry for the delay, I forgot a few times. It’s not marked anywhere. It’s old and loud but it works in my car.

Old thread (kind of) I know but my Ring RTC500 blew the glass fuse in the compressor plug last week. I've used it a number of times to do all four tyres one after the other with no problems. For some reason, last week, it blew between the third and fourth tyres.

Anyone got any suggestions as how to prevent this from happening again?

This is the compressor I got and it is an absolute gem! Excellent performance both for tires and inflating SUP's, etc. I also use it with my portable foam cannon so I don't need to manually pump it and can keep 3 Bar pressure constant with the foam cannon when using a 24/7 self service car wash. Battery and charger sold separately but I have other Einhell tools so it works well for me.

PRESSITO

Off topic, but bought this to do touchless drying at the self service car wash as well of my car with the same batteries:

GE-LB 36/210 Li E-Solo

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up