Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v always on after sentry mode update?

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
I’ve seen others mention this as well. I don’t believe there is a way to turn the 12V outlet off when Sentry Mode is enabled. Do you have something plugged in that’s draining power while your car is parked?

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
I’ve seen others mention this as well. I don’t believe there is a way to turn the 12V outlet off when Sentry Mode is enabled. Do you have something plugged in that’s draining power while your car is parked?

I don't have sentry mode on, and even still the 12v seems active. I have my XM onyx plus plugged in and until this update (which I just got today) it always turned off when I left the car...now it stays on.

Last edited:

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
It's supposedly a new feature that was announced a little while back. I'm not really a fan, too many opportunities to kill a 12V battery.
I'd rather have some options, like on or off, and maybe even an on for X minutes. Also a different setting for USB ports would be nice.

Reactions: crackers8199

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
It's supposedly a new feature that was announced a little while back. I'm not really a fan, too many opportunities to kill a 12V battery.
I'd rather have some options, like on or off, and maybe even an on for X minutes. Also a different setting for USB ports would be nice.

yeah, making it configurable would really be the best of both worlds. as it is, i can already see this killing my battery when i leave my xm unit on (because in the 7 months i've had the car i've already conditioned myself that it will turn itself off)...i'm trying to remind myself to turn it off when i leave the car, but i'm sure i will forget at some point.

Pkmmte

Le meow
Sep 19, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I personally love this change. I used to have to leave my door/trunk somewhat open before just so the car can stay on and charge the dashcam sometimes. Now I can leave it locked without worrying that it'll cut the 12V power.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
yeah, this is a huge problem. it definitely doesn't time out - i parked in my garage almost an hour ago and just went out to double-check...it's still on. does anyone know if there's an alternate 12v source that is still switched when the driver leaves the car?

Garlan Garner

Banned
Mar 31, 2016
Chicagoland
yeah, this is a huge problem. it definitely doesn't time out - i parked in my garage almost an hour ago and just went out to double-check...it's still on. does anyone know if there's an alternate 12v source that is still switched when the driver leaves the car?

Yes...I know of at least 2 of them. I'm using them....such as the door pocket lights still extinguish when the driver leaves.
The footwell lights still extinguish when the driver leaves the car.

sreams

Nov 7, 2017
Sacramento, CA

I know you got used to how it worked before... but I've owned several cars where the 12V plug worked with the car off, and I preferred it. Most people installing XM or other audio sources find a swtiched 12V supply, and don't use the 12V plug (regardless of what car we are talking about).

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
I know you got used to how it worked before... but I've owned several cars where the 12V plug worked with the car off, and I preferred it. Most people installing XM or other audio sources find a swtiched 12V supply, and don't use the 12V plug (regardless of what car we are talking about).

that's not the point, the point is that they changed how it currently works without telling anyone. if anyone has something plugged in that they have tucked into the cubby under the armrest, they have no way of knowing right now that the outlet is always on rather than turning off when exiting the car like it previously worked.

also, i wouldn't say "most" people installing something as simple as a portable XM unit find a switched 12v source...a more involved audio setup, sure - but these units are designed to plug into the 12v socket by default. not to mention that until this update, that socket WAS a switched 12v source.

Reactions: Garlan Garner

sreams

Nov 7, 2017
Sacramento, CA
that's not the point, the point is that they changed how it currently works without telling anyone. if anyone has something plugged in that they have tucked into the cubby under the armrest, they have no way of knowing right now that the outlet is always on rather than turning off when exiting the car like it previously worked.

Fair enough. So the huge problem is the communication. Not the actual change. The previous behavior seemed like an oversight/bug to me compared to other cars I've owned.

Maybe contact Tesla and suggest they add this to the release notes (if it isn't already there). Of course... now you do know, so the huge problem doesn't exist in your particular case.

Reactions: Pkmmte

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
Fair enough. So the huge problem is the communication. Not the actual change. The previous behavior seemed like an oversight/bug to me compared to other cars I've owned.

Maybe contact Tesla and suggest they add this to the release notes (if it isn't already there). Of course... now you do know, so the huge problem doesn't exist in your particular case.

yes and no. i still have to get myself used to turning the damn thing off when i exit the car now...which isn't a huge deal, but like anything when you're conditioned to it working one way for the 7+ months i've had the car, i'm bound to forget once or twice or a few times until i get used to it. i just hope that doesn't end up draining my battery when i need it.

i think the best way for them to handle it would be to make it a configurable option, or even allow you to toggle the power on the 12v socket from the app...that would seem to keep everyone happy.

• Love
Reactions: MikkoJ and 03DSG

sreams

Nov 7, 2017
Sacramento, CA
yes and no. i still have to get myself used to turning the damn thing off when i exit the car now...which isn't a huge deal, but like anything when you're conditioned to it working one way for the 7+ months i've had the car, i'm bound to forget once or twice or a few times until i get used to it. i just hope that doesn't end up draining my battery when i need it.

i think the best way for them to handle it would be to make it a configurable option, or even allow you to toggle the power on the 12v socket from the app...that would seem to keep everyone happy.

You don't have to do that. Just wire it up the same way you would in any other car that has always-on 12V plugs. Find a switched source. Somebody replied earlier that some of the wiring for interior lighting might work.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
lake elsinore, ca
You don't have to do that. Just wire it up the same way you would in any other car that has always-on 12V plugs. Find a switched source. Somebody replied earlier that some of the wiring for interior lighting might work.

yes, i plan to do that...until they change that to always on as well lol

either way, it's not going to happen until next weekend as i already have a road trip planned this weekend...which is what i was getting at when i said hope i don't forget to turn it off and have it drain my battery when i need it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC