Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v always on after sentry mode update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what’s going on there. Mine definitely powers and charges my LTE hotspot (for my dashcam) all the time.

I just had to rewire my BlackVue DR900S-2CH powered by the 12V outlet to bypass an in-line wireless relay switch that died. The dash cam definitely powers off at some point after the attached Blackvue B-112 battery dies. I know this because the dashcam starts up when I start the car the next morning. I'd love it if the 12V power supply was continuous but mine is definitely not either. Mine is a LR built 3/2018 on firmware 5.15.

My observation when car is locked - Sentry mode on = 12V on; Senty mode off = 12V off.

I would also like the ability to turn off power to 12V when car powers off. I use two external dashcams - high resolution 2.7K that records to a microsd 128GB that are connected to the 12v, one front and one rear (well Tesla does not record rear view footage). Once full it loops and deletes the older files. Since sentry mode is already recording when parked, I do not want or need my high res cams to record! Another issue is there is footage that I want to download but it keeps getting overwritten when the car is parked for 8 hours at work and my external dashcam is anyhow covered by the sunshade, I have to pretty much download stuff right away and that is highly inconvenient especially at work. Battery usage - it is negligible and not a big deal for me personally.

At home, I added my GPS location not to enable sentry mode since my car is in the garage and the 12V usb adapter light was off until i woke the car up with keyfob, even checking the app did not enable it! At work, since i left the sentry on and I need it on, the 12 volt was on and I also verified the video clips from my personal dashcam and my morning commute to work footage was erased by my work parking lot footage. The only way i guess to turn off 12 volt at work is to add my work GPS location to exclude sentry mode.

A simple toggle would be perfect! I still fail to understanding the logic behind why Sentry should be linked to 12 Volt?

Is this pretty much what others are experiencing?

2019 Model X (Non Raven); 2019.20.4.2 66625e9

My observation when car is locked - Sentry mode on = 12V on; Senty mode off = 12V off.

I would also like the ability to turn off power to 12V when car powers off. I use two external dashcams - high resolution 2.7K that records to a microsd 128GB that are connected to the 12v, one front and one rear (well Tesla does not record rear view footage). Once full it loops and deletes the older files. Since sentry mode is already recording when parked, I do not want or need my high res cams to record! Another issue is there is footage that I want to download but it keeps getting overwritten when the car is parked for 8 hours at work and my external dashcam is anyhow covered by the sunshade, I have to pretty much download stuff right away and that is highly inconvenient especially at work. Battery usage - it is negligible and not a big deal for me personally.

At home, I added my GPS location not to enable sentry mode since my car is in the garage and the 12V usb adapter light was off until i woke the car up with keyfob, even checking the app did not enable it! At work, since i left the sentry on and I need it on, the 12 volt was on and I also verified the video clips from my personal dashcam and my morning commute to work footage was erased by my work parking lot footage. The only way i guess to turn off 12 volt at work is to add my work GPS location to exclude sentry mode.

A simple toggle would be perfect! I still fail to understanding the logic behind why Sentry should be linked to 12 Volt?

Is this pretty much what others are experiencing?

2019 Model X (Non Raven); 2019.20.4.2 66625e9

My dashcam plugged into the 12V port still records when the car is at home in the garage with Sentry Mode off.

Nearly 4 months later after my last post in this thread and now on version 20.4.2. I've noticed inconsistent behavior with the 12V outlet when parked at home. I have Sentry Mode on by default but set it to exclude monitoring at home. The car gets plugged into the wall connector every night.

Some mornings, my 12V dashcam will turn on when the car is started, meaning that 12V power turned off at some point overnight. Other mornings, it will be in parking mode and resume normal recording when I move the car, meaning 12V power was on all night. I've yet to figure out what conditions keep it on what makes it turn off.

Nearly 4 months later after my last post in this thread and now on version 20.4.2. I've noticed inconsistent behavior with the 12V outlet when parked at home. I have Sentry Mode on by default but set it to exclude monitoring at home. The car gets plugged into the wall connector every night.

Some mornings, my 12V dashcam will turn on when the car is started, meaning that 12V power turned off at some point overnight. Other mornings, it will be in parking mode and resume normal recording when I move the car, meaning 12V power was on all night. I've yet to figure out what conditions keep it on what makes it turn off.
Actually noticing this as well, on some days I'll notice my dashcam wasn't on halfway into the drive.

Actually noticing this as well, on some days I'll notice my dashcam wasn't on halfway into the drive.

I also experience this every once in a while--maybe a few times a month. The dashcam won't turn on at all unless I unplug it from the 12V socket and reconnect it. I was blaming that more on the dashcam itself, but maybe there's something going on with the 12V too.

My dashcam plugged into the 12V port still records when the car is at home in the garage with Sentry Mode off.
Are you turning off sentry mode manually? If this is what you are doing, instead, could you add your location to favorites and disable sentry mode on favorites and see what happens? Mine is a model X and when car shuts off sentry mode based on GPS, the 12 volt powers off.

Does the model 3 always power (charge) the 12V battery - even when powered down? I've read this thread (and many others) and my main concern (with my Blackvue DR900S) is the possibility of running the 12V battery down if I leave the dashcam plugged into the 12V supply. Can the 12V battery ever be run down if the main battery has power?

Does the model 3 always power (charge) the 12V battery - even when powered down? I've read this thread (and many others) and my main concern (with my Blackvue DR900S) is the possibility of running the 12V battery down if I leave the dashcam plugged into the 12V supply. Can the 12V battery ever be run down if the main battery has power?

Nope, only when needed.
Yes, many threads with Blackvues running the battery down.
The 12V can absolutely run down with a full big battery charge. And when that happens, the car has absolutely no function at all.

Nope, only when needed.
The 12V can absolutely run down with a full big battery charge. And when that happens, the car has absolutely no function at all.

hmmm I'm thinking of plugging in an old phone w/ SD card so I can access clips via wifi. I won't if 12V won't turn off

Nope, only when needed.
Thanks for the reply but do you know that for sure? I only ask because of the wide range in opinions out there? I've not seen any posts of dashcams running batteries down so if you know of any please could you provide a link? Thanks

Reactions: vickh
hmmm I'm thinking of plugging in an old phone w/ SD card so I can access clips via wifi. I won't if 12V won't turn off

The 12V power plugs will turn off as the car goes to sleep, but it has to go to sleep. Sentry will keep it on. If you have wired into other non-approve locations, they may not turn off.

It's so sad to hear about so many people that have to leave sentry on and continuously review their footage. That's an area that I just don't want to live in.

Reactions: vickh
The 12V power plugs will turn off as the car goes to sleep, but it has to go to sleep. Sentry will keep it on. If you have wired into other non-approve locations, they may not turn off.

It's so sad to hear about so many people that have to leave sentry on and continuously review their footage. That's an area that I just don't want to live in.

thankfully I don't have/need sentry at home (and debating turning it off and using an aftermarket dashcam at work too)

So the dashcam horror story above is people wired into other non-approve locations? Do all the 12 V/usb turn off as the car goes to sleep?

Rhundo adapter - https://www.amazon.com/RHUNDO-RS-20ST-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter/dp/B07BRD6N1B
I'm using the remote buttons to toggle 12V power, with the low-voltage auto shutoff as redundancy.
Considering my radar detector is within easy reach, I really just have to remember to turn it off and on when exit/enter the car. The dashcam I'm not as concerned about. It doesn't drain much battery while on and may just come in handy being on while I'm out of the car. My Valentine One radar detector though I'm seeing losses of 10 miles between when I park at work for about 4 hours.

I also experience this every once in a while--maybe a few times a month. The dashcam won't turn on at all unless I unplug it from the 12V socket and reconnect it. I was blaming that more on the dashcam itself, but maybe there's something going on with the 12V too.

It's interesting to see how things have changed/improved compared to my previous replies from last summer. I have Sentry enabled all the time, excluding only my home. The dashcam shuts down every night and restarts every morning, proving the 12V loses power when the car is asleep in my garage.

The dashcam will stay on as long as Sentry is active, as it will record for 8-10 hours while parked at my work during the day. It's all working much more predictably and is exactly the way I'd want it to work. I used to have an external battery for my BlackVue to keep it running while parked at work and disconnected it a few months ago since Sentry mode keeps the 12V on reliably.