TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12V battery access and location

Discussion in 'Model X' started by VerityZooms, Oct 10, 2016.

1. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

So, I've found these two ‘battery posts’ (at least, for jump-starting the 12V system) under the service panel, in the frunk — strangely, they're on *opposite sides* of the car, nowhere near one another:

[​IMG][​IMG]

However, I need to attach power-leads specifically at the point where the 12V battery grounds to the chassis; does anybody know where, within the body of the car, the actual 12V battery is mounted / located?

(In that vein: is there an easy way to remove the interior lining of the frunk? I need to mount a transceiver package to the inside-edge thereof, and I'd like to remove the lining before I drill any mounting-holes.)

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

4. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

5. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

Okay, so I'm … mildly concerned again. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but,

1. This is a battery under load — I haven't found a way to truly turn the Model X off? Unless I'm missing something, the doors always operate, the screens light up immediately when you sit down / the computers are obviously always running, etc etc etc. Thus, whenever the circuit is closed with the battery, there's going to be some current.
    2. I can't get to the actual battery to detach the negative lead from the battery's post in one motion; instead, as shown in the pictures above, I'm going to be fishing the negative lead (currently attached to the chassis), out past … a ton more chassis. With a metal tool.
    3. If (when) the lead, or my tool, or anything, touches any part of the chassis, then unless I'm very confused, the battery's circuit is going to close again, probably causing current-draw from whatever electronics are always-on in the car? If it touches parts of the chassis multiple times on the way out, I'm effectively applying and killing power to the car's electronics over and over? Right?

Has anybody actually disconnected the 12V in a Model X, and could speak up as to their experience? I'm super-paranoid about this now.