Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Charged While Car Parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S arrives in a week or so & I am very interested in adding the cameras but I am also somewhat "paranoid" about the 12 volt battery. If I add the cameras & the 12 volt takes a dump during the warranty period, will they cover it or claim that the cameras were the fault? Just curious...

My S arrives in a week or so & I am very interested in adding the cameras but I am also somewhat "paranoid" about the 12 volt battery. If I add the cameras & the 12 volt takes a dump during the warranty period, will they cover it or claim that the cameras were the fault? Just curious...
Do a few searches. There are varying opinions in at least one other recent thread indicating there should be no concern if you have the camera connected via normal 12V sources that go on/off like the cigarette lighter does, whereas it could be more problematic as to what Tesla says if you tap in to an always-on source. Some people don't agree with that POV. I personally have no opinion on the subject, but my point is, the discussion surrounding your question has recently been held elsewhere. ;) Have fun with that new MS!

Yes it's charged from the main pack while parked, and you have no worries about having the dashcam on 24/7. Tons of us have dashcams always on without issue.

The car's electronics are always draining the 12V battery, and the contactors on the main battery click on several times per day to recharge the 12V battery.

That explains it. Thanks much. I knew that the 12V battery was charged from the main battery, I knew the main battery disconnected when you park, I did not know the main battery connected itself periodically, with the car on park, to charge the 12V one. Thanks again.