Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Charging??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Hope everyone's safe in this pandemic.

Due to the Corona pademic, our family has hardly ventured out of the house, leave alone driving. Hence, I have parked my Model3 in the garage from past three weeks. It's plugged in at 80% charging.

My questions, do we need to put a separate battery tender on the 12V battery or does it take charge from main battery? I have plugged a battery tender to the 12V batter of my van as it's 'stored' in the garage too.

Thanks for your inputs.. stay safe.

No tender needed. The car will keep it charged.
However, if you know you’re not using the car for weeks, it is best to keep the state of change lower.
50%-70% is better than 80%
Not a big deal though.

Thanks for your response... it's a relief to know the car will charge and maintan the 12V battery too.
I have been keeping the main battery charge level at 80%, but will lower it to 60%.

We literally have not driven the car anywhere past three weeks, plus now VA is under an official lockdown order through mid-June, they are going to be very strict with fines and jailtime for folks who are going to break this lockdown rule.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your response... it's a relief to know the car will charge and maintan the 12V battery too.
I have been keeping the main battery charge level at 80%, but will lower it to 60%.

We literally have not driven the car anywhere past three weeks, plus now VA is under an official lockdown order through mid-June, they are going to be very strict with fines and jailtime for folks who are going to break this lockdown rule.

Thanks again.

Glad to help.
Be safe.

No tender needed and no need to lower your charge either. Just leave it as is. The only item you will eventually need to worry about is the tires, just drive it around the block a few times to keep them round as these cars are balls heavy.

While the long term difference is only a few percent, keeping your state of charge lower is easy to do, and it is better for the battery, so if you can, it’s a good suggestion.

While the long term difference is only a few percent, keeping your state of charge lower is easy to do, and it is better for the battery, so if you can, it’s a good suggestion.

The OP will go stir crazy before the battery has issues. Yes if you’re gonna park the car for a month, sure drop it to 50 but for a week? I’m getting in the car today, it hasn’t been driven in 4 days and I’m just going to take the highway for a bit to “get out”, I’m not leaving the car I just need a change in scenery.

If you can, get in and move it back and forth a few feet or drive out of the garage and back in or even better, driven it around the block once a week to prevent tire flat-spotting and square tire syndrome.

The car is heavy and even 48psi cold will not help.

There's no way I'm leaving this car to sit in the garage for weeks or months. I don't see anything wrong with driving around and not getting out. I didn't wait my entire life for a car like this for it to become a lawn ornament.
Vehicles don't like sitting around.

• Funny
Reactions: M109Rider

Thanks again.

wow, mid-June?? Are any other states in the same boat?

The good news is that the death rate is beginning to drop.

There's no way I'm leaving this car to sit in the garage for weeks or months. I don't see anything wrong with driving around and not getting out. I didn't wait my entire life for a car like this for it to become a lawn ornament.
Vehicles don't like sitting around.

other the tires what else? I know for a ICE I use fuel stabilizers and 12V tender

Thanks again.

Have you read the executive order? They aren’t going to levy big fines or jail time against you for taking a drive.

I have been following the 12v battery related threads. Two days ago I received the notification, “Replace 12V battery soon.” I took delivery of my car on December 24, 2019. I barely have 3,000 miles on the car. I was able to schedule a service appointment for this morning. They just left my house after installing a new battery.

They told me that it’s not common to have a battery replacement this soon, but that it does happen. They added that it is nothing I am doing or not doing that caused it—just a bad battery. BTW, I charge my car at home using the Gen 2 mobile connector that came with the car. I connect it using a NEMA 14-50 plug that is on a dedicated 50 amp circuit.

The home service call was great. They asked if I had any other issues to address, fortunately I did not. They put air on all my tires and then they were on their way.

Reactions: lUtriaNt