Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery died overnight, Main battery shows 0 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had just exchanged text with SC, it looks like a main battery replacement will be done. The replacement battery is a 85KWH battery. I had seen some post about this battery. I wonder if it's a refurbished battery. Knowing that I will be having a newer battery is comforting, but knowing it being 85kWh is a bit uneasy. Question is whether it's a refurbished/re-manufactured battery, how much life is left in the replacement battery.
Your car is a P85+ with a 85 kWh pack. What battery do you expect Tesla to give you as replacement?

Looks like you are getting a B revision pack, which is what was originally shipped on 2013 P85s. The one you are receiving has been remanufactured, IOW it's a refurbished pack. That is exactly what the warranty offers, a pack with at least the same capacity as the one that is being replaced.

Given what's happening with #batterygate and #chargegate, I would insist on Tesla showing you the range at 100% charge. In terms of restoring the slowed supercharging, you may be SOL on that.

Last edited:
Your car is a P85+ with a 85 kWh pack. What battery do you expect Tesla to give you as replacement?

Looks like you are getting a B revision pack, which is what was originally shipped on 2013 P85s. The one you are receiving has been remanufactured, IOW it's a refurbished pack. That is exactly what the warranty offers, a pack with at least the same capacity as the one that is being replaced.

Given what's happening with #batterygate and #chargegate, I would insist on Tesla showing you the range at 100% charge. In terms of restoring the slowed supercharging, you may be SOL on that.

I didn't see SevenWithaT mention any issues with Supercharging before in this thread, but that's a good thing to check. I believe they will have applied the latest fix to the battery, even though technically the base hardware is from 2013.

I didn't see SevenWithaT mention any issues with Supercharging before in this thread, but that's a good thing to check. I believe they will have applied the latest fix to the battery, even though technically the base hardware is from 2013.
Let's wait and see what the replacement battery is and how it performs. I wonder if anyone has a "scan-my-tesla app"-compatible adapter in Los Angeles area that I could borrow to read charging cycle count and capacity on the replacement battery.

I saw Bjon from youtube using it. looking like it's able to tell.
upload_2020-6-20_17-59-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-20_17-55-24.png
    upload_2020-6-20_17-55-24.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 99
  • upload_2020-6-20_17-59-54.png
    upload_2020-6-20_17-59-54.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 36
Car details are below.

I think my 12V battery died overnight without warning.

This morning, neither of our phones would connect with the car. Neither of our key cards worked. On one phone, I was able to sign out and back in and the battery showed a 78% charge. (That connection lasted only a short time). After unlocking the drivers side door, we rolled the window down but it was extremely slow and stuck for a while. Eventually was able to roll it up but was also very slow.

The car is now completely unresponsive sitting in my garage.

Thoughts?

Car details are below.

I think my 12V battery died overnight without warning.

This morning, neither of our phones would connect with the car. Neither of our key cards worked. On one phone, I was able to sign out and back in and the battery showed a 78% charge. (That connection lasted only a short time). After unlocking the drivers side door, we rolled the window down but it was extremely slow and stuck for a while. Eventually was able to roll it up but was also very slow.

The car is now completely unresponsive sitting in my garage.

Thoughts?

Sounds very much like our Model 3 symptoms. A 12V battery replacement fixed it. It was on 2020.24.6.1, which may be a contributor given all the 12V problems we've seen recently. With the car plugged in the 12V voltage looked OK and the car almost acted normal after a few resets. We were able to drive it to the Service Center where they fixed it without an appointment.

Sounds very much like our Model 3 symptoms. A 12V battery replacement fixed it. It was on 2020.24.6.1, which may be a contributor given all the 12V problems we've seen recently. With the car plugged in the 12V voltage looked OK and the car almost acted normal after a few resets. We were able to drive it to the Service Center where they fixed it without an appointment.
Unfortunately, my car is bricked and undrivable. I scheduled a mobile appointment for Thursday and I really don't need to use the car before then (thanks to COVID).

You picked up your car the same month as mine. Was this covered by warranty?

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Unfortunately, my car is bricked and undrivable. I scheduled a mobile appointment for Thursday and I really don't need to use the car before then (thanks to COVID).

You picked up your car the same month as mine. Was this covered by warranty?

hello, How old is your Tesla? It could be same problem as my ms. One way to find out is to first charge up the 12v battery. You can either charge it at the jump posts or 12v battery itself.
Give it one full night of charging and you will boot the mcu. Where you can check the error log. If you see similar error i posted, it may be the main battery.

hello, How old is your Tesla? It could be same problem as my ms. One way to find out is to first charge up the 12v battery. You can either charge it at the jump posts or 12v battery itself.
Give it one full night of charging and you will boot the mcu. Where you can check the error log. If you see similar error i posted, it may be the main battery.
Car details in sig. Mobile came by earlier today, changed it in less than 20 mins and no charge. Said this one should last "3-4 years".