Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery died this weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12V battery died this weekend, exactly 2 years to the day that I got my model 3P. My wife and I were in Austin (200 miles from home) when I went to move the car and NADA. It would not start, the screen was black, and the window rolled down by itself. Luckily, thanks to advice on this forum, I had one of these devices in the trunk:

6fhapiRmBEvRRS8esfAreu1rxlxe4hCyXYJxcBCm_viYbcQsfAfsjWJHrfhOhrKgz88lxxF3xTSBVRGlkCYduA9EZVlBEkiNVSJ_bDjRRCBzcbdCH2d75VfZ5m8vkD2CAIEMbdxuV8GldT9-Ft59gh_8pMOuM-s0taAIi_QmZkPQWRA4PJ_5kMSQcXLpHkX-sxxm-uo1XC1gujWiuH33hssn7K8PDlnLIJXm6-jOKBdU_Qn3HR5PJk5lxMrz1LAsmYsdfDD8tEtRO9NPKMwLKkc49UmUE6tGZnig_-K0IJaABCSXEUBb1MfA928AwUwfeGcImEjFIFrRXbG8O2A9U00b4bURqLQ5wrslEiKZlzq6CKTDdsui8cmZHzAJndZFD-4RNBwpZ_tmpqO5uthXNzU_DH2fD4bCCi1pltg6B_6Ma_VwYuWcHfMFgTNiUioAQncE4ejYkcYNqb4f-Pssxn962wAAE5OrozUj5dSAdnUxCMF7kBTfNefTYwD1G6kiPq9v9aWLsXbTrt83eZjtswQOe-QMWEfa3eN7qRDcB2MYn8dUY50TTfLUWMIdiqZj8cE_nnxoTezLbF-WEUcIHRycyNn78chFfAEfIR-IMt8-IG8j6nO-qf3JI0hOUiEQo8Xi7fehQF0lXuBpEvfWXLzCdc7gIiC46naYSRQPQMpgjO6H_9p-60jjMdZ_Z39n5YI4-CxSAH5dw6K7HuZ2R3ni=w771-h1027-no

I was able to jump-start the car, then I set Sentry mode to ON at ALL locations so the car wouldn't turn off. We were able to complete our trip with no incidents, except the "12V battery needs to be replaced" notification on the screen the whole time. I scheduled Tesla to replace the battery and they came (Mobile Service) this morning, replaced it at no charge. So, thanks for the advice, it saved us a tow to who knows were.....

That's how you get the frunk open. OP said he used a battery jump starter that was stored in the trunk. Hence why I asked how he got the trunk open.

FWIW it's a circular dependency to need to use the jump starter in order to get the jump starter out of the car. Only solution I can think of is keep the jump starter in the frunk, and keep a 9V battery in your pocket.

Reactions: medphys3