Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery drain with Hansshow power frunk kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could help others with the Hansshow power Frunk kit installed

I just had to replace my 12v battery after only 11 months of ownership. Here is the situation:

1. Installed the Hansshow power frunk kit 5 weeks ago (amazing product)
2. I keep the car in the garage 23-24hrs per day (during pandemic), with the Frunk open and with the key fob inside in the car.
3. State of charge is kept between 45% - 90%. I charge at home when I drop below 50%.
4. This has been my habit since mid-April and did not think there was anything wrong with this.

Does anyone know why I would drain the 12V battery with the above conditions?

My suspicion is that the Hansshow controller is drawing power when the Frunk is open (the latch disengaged as soon as the power lead was removed from the battery with the Frunk open) and the key fob inside the car is keeping the car from going into sleep mode.

What do you think (or know) is happening here?

Don’t leave the Key Fob in range.

It won’t sleep properly.

I hang my key on a door way entering the garage right around where it used to autolock. With the new option to not auto lock at home it no longer does (love that feature).

Not sure about Frunk but my gut feeling is close it.

I just got the Hansshow power Frunk a few weeks ago. I got it installed by a certified technician and he gave three recommendations. First, leave the frunk closed when model x is not in use. Second, lock it when you leave it. Third, make sure it goes to sleep after charging.

My suspicion is that the Hansshow controller is drawing power when the Frunk is open (the latch disengaged as soon as the power lead was removed from the battery with the Frunk open) and the key fob inside the car is keeping the car from going into sleep mode.

What do you think (or know) is happening here?

If you heard the latch move after disconnecting the battery then the Hansshow is definitely drawing battery power (maybe a fair amount to hold a mechanical latch open) whenever the frunk is open.

Fix for that is to close the frunk. Not sure that would explain the 12v battery running down though, why wouldn't the car recharge it?