Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery Fail < 8 months should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my 2019 Raven Performance in June 2019. This weekend I got the dreaded 12v battery needs service warning message on the dash console. I’ve scheduled a service appointment which is over a week out. But I bought this car brand new, had it for less than 8 months and just under 6400 miles. Seems a bit early for the 12v battery to fail. But I also realize not all batteries are the same. So, maybe I just got a bad 12v battery from the factory. Or should I be concerned that it went bad so soon?

OH MY GOD! FAILED 12V. RUN - RUN

Just messin' with ya. There's been a bad batch used out of the factory. They've been showing up lately. "Its not you, its me" type thing. This happens once in a while. Back in the spring of '13, the supplier was providing batteries from a factory in Viet Nam and a bunch of new ones only lasted a few months. I had one. And you are right, its a special configuration battery.

Tesla has programmed the "check" on the battery so that message occurs about 3 weeks out from failure. You are going to be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
I have a July 2018 Model S. I got the 12v battery warning in Aug 2019, so about 13 months. Be aware, even though you may have read, and others on the forum may have said, that the battery will last for a long time after getting that warning, mine died after 2 weeks. I couldn't get in the car and the car was dead in my garage. I was lucky that it happened in my garage and not while I was out somewhere far from home. I was also lucky in that my mobile service appointment was already set for the following day, so I was only stuck for 1 day.

It may be a stretch, but the DC-DC converter could be faulty. It is how the car charges your 12v battery from the HV battery pack. I'd think that kind of fault would show up in an error message, however, and not simply let your 12v battery die, but if you're under warranty you should be okay either way.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. My appointment is on Monday the 17th. As of now I’m still able to drive it fine. Let’s hope I make it to the 17th. I’ve unplugged my wireless charger anyway just to make sure there’s nothing else on the 12v system. I’m hopeful I just got a bad battery from the factory but we will see what the mobile tech says

I got my first warning about 12 months into ownership of my 2017 Model S but about 2 months after my dashcam install. I was concerned that when I tapped into the 12V always-on for my dashcam that I was the cause of the batteries early demise, but was reassured by the mobile ranger that this was likely not the case.

The ranger replaced the battery and I was back up and running again with no problems since, even with the dashcam still installed.