Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery horror story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon, this happened to my second Tesla I owned. My 12 volt died 5 days ago. I called West Palm Beach FL service center person, Richard, who told me there were no batteries @ service center and he would not order one for me. Strange i thought - he wouldn't order one. I ordered one from Ohmmu and it should be here in 2 days. So much for great Tesla service... Elon, I hope you take note of this. AND I also probably lost out on a partial warranty replacement. I guess I will really re think about another Tesla. Service response was terrible....

Elon, this happened to my second Tesla I owned. My 12 volt died 5 days ago. I called West Palm Beach FL service center person, Richard, who told me there were no batteries @ service center and he would not order one for me. Strange i thought - he wouldn't order one. I ordered one from Ohmmu and it should be here in 2 days. So much for great Tesla service... Elon, I hope you take note of this. AND I also probably lost out on a partial warranty replacement. I guess I will really re think about another Tesla. Service response was terrible....
They probably already have them on order, so ordering one specifically for you would have been redundant. The Ohmmu battery is an expensive joke....

They probably already have them on order, so ordering one specifically for you would have been redundant. The Ohmmu battery is an expensive joke....

I'd imagine they are aircraft grade just like the MPP one's, they have built in BMS, last 3x as long and have a wider operating range. Have had mine from MPP for nearly a year now and zero issues, while the car weighs 25 pounds less to boot. I have no regrets buying one of these as they work exactly as intended.

Hello TheSocey,

As the model 3 does the pre-charge (I mean the powering up of condensers and so on) through the 12 V battery and the DC/DC in boost mode, you couldn't drive. The front controller is a bridge between the DC/DC and the Lead acid battery, so any of those components were faulty and they changed all the implied ones so make sense.

I can say that is not a fast work as I did reverse engineering to one model 3.

Hello, I have a similar case now. A Model 3 performance from 2021.
Battery went down from 100km+ to zero in a few days

error e-182

Error e-192

Electronical system is unable to support all systems

Tesla support line informs.. No warranty

Can this be true???

I asked for a call back by a manager.

Hello, I have a similar case now. A Model 3 performance from 2021.
Battery went down from 100km+ to zero in a few days

error e-182

Error e-192

Electronical system is unable to support all systems

Tesla support line informs.. No warranty

Can this be true???

I asked for a call back by a manager.

Depends on how many miles / KM you have on your car. In the US, the low voltage battery is a $85 part, and the total parts and labor is $130 US dollars or a bit less, depending on what US state you are in (labor charges are a bit different in different states.

If you are outside the mileage warranty, then correct, it would not be covered (low voltage battery, which is not the main battery). Lots of threads here on failing 12v batteries on model 3s, so its not uncommon.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Depends on how many miles / KM you have on your car. In the US, the low voltage battery is a $85 part, and the total parts and labor is $130 US dollars or a bit less, depending on what US state you are in (labor charges are a bit different in different states.

If you are outside the mileage warranty, then correct, it would not be covered (low voltage battery, which is not the main battery). Lots of threads here on failing 12v batteries on model 3s, so its not uncommon.
Only 15000 km. I am in the Netherlands. The thing is that Tesla service try to tell me that it'ss my fault. I did not charge and not use the car for five days. But the car was 100km charged and not used in these 5 days. So instead of providing support I have this discussion and they call it a case to be investigated first.. Terrible!! Tesla is great, but the support is absolutely not. I have no car now and scheduling next possible support is 14 days ahead and no mobile support available. Not sure if this is a normal Tesla experience.

Reaction from Tesla Netherlands.. NO GUARANTEE!

Do you think the following is an acceptable explanation when a tesla reduces 100km in 5 days without using and with an error code (e-182) that the low voltage battery must be replaced. See image at the end.

Answer from Tesla Netherlands:

"Your Model 3 manual also states that “drawing down to 0% may damage other components or may require replacement (for example, the low-voltage battery). In these cases, the repair and/or transport costs are for your own account. Costs due to an empty battery are not covered”.

This same manual talks about a discharge rate of 1% per day, however this varies depending on environmental factors (such as weather), vehicle configuration and the settings selected on the touchscreen. For this reason I also contacted my colleagues from Service and they indicate that it is normal to lose 5% daily, especially if Sentry Mode and/or Pre-Conditioning are also used."

I checked the facts:
Sunday April 10 2022: I left my car parked in the garage at 100km
Friday April 15 2022: I see on my app 0km
I ask my son to check the car and he made the attached image with the error message.
Then if it is normal the car reduce 5% per day I would expect max reduction is 30km (6 days between april 10 april 15 times 5% per day). And not zero!!

So with this experience they would me to trust them and transport the car myself. What can I do..

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 11.43.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-15 at 11.43.35 PM.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I checked the facts:
Sunday April 10 2022: I left my car parked in the garage at 100km
Friday April 15 2022: I see on my app 0km
I ask my son to check the car and he made the attached image with the error message.
Then if it is normal the car reduce 5% per day I would expect max reduction is 30km (6 days between april 10 april 15 times 5% per day). And not zero!!

5% would be about 25 km per day. So 6 days would be 150 km of "vampire" drain. (It is 5% of the state of charge, not 5% of what is left.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
These posts from @RGiezen are a duplicate from this entire thread he created, where this was discussed and explained. The 5% per day if very active things like Sentry and Summon Standby are active, over the course of 6 days would be about 120 km of normal battery reduction. This is normal and expected.

These posts from @RGiezen are a duplicate from this entire thread he created, where this was discussed and explained. The 5% per day if very active things like Sentry and Summon Standby are active, over the course of 6 days would be about 120 km of normal battery reduction. This is normal and expected.

Yeah, they are.

I would normally split it off, but these posts in this thread occured first, and have responses to them, and combining them with the thread they created would break up the responses here into those there.

I thought their situation was different, so a separate thread is likely the right course of action, but dont want to break up the responses here on it.

I suggest anyone replying to @RGiezen do so in the thread they created (which @Rocky_H ) already linked.

Do you have Sentry mode running and other battery draining options?
Apparently Covid causes 12V battery problems.