Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery is exposed to anybody that wants access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Roadsters if you open the charging port, this kicks on the ESS that will start the 12v DC-DC converter (to charge your 12v battery).. to bad they didn't keep this feature for the Model S.
My understanding is that in the Model S it is done on demand, and not only when the charge port is open, so regardless of what you do, the 12c DC-DC converter will come on and charge the battery as needed. Seems a much more sensible solution than asking people to open their charge ports to prevent a dead battery...

My understanding is that in the Model S it is done on demand, and not only when the charge port is open, so regardless of what you do, the 12c DC-DC converter will come on and charge the battery as needed. Seems a much more sensible solution than asking people to open their charge ports to prevent a dead battery...

That's my understanding as well, with the exception that there is a time interval when the 12V battery is checked. (I don't know the interval number)

I wish they also had a smaller 12 V battery that could serve as a backup for the main 12 V battery. That would have saved me a ride in a tow truck this morning . . .

If you fear Judgement Day is approaching you can stow a 12v deep cycle wheelchair battery in the frunk. Along with a bow saw, spare tire, jack, wrenches, tire pump, rope, tarps, medical kit, etc.

MS-spare_12v_battery_in_frunk.jpg

This battery weighs 10 kilos and fits nicely on spare.
--

If you fear Judgement Day is approaching you can stow a 12v deep cycle wheelchair battery in the frunk. Along with a bow saw, spare tire, jack, wrenches, tire pump, rope, tarps, medical kit, etc.

Probably easier to carry one of the many portable jump starters out there. One self contained unit, no worry about shorting out exposed battery terminals (most have an on-off switch to hook up without sparks). Plus you can be a good samaritan and jump start other's ICE's

View attachment 58383

--

Why such a large battery, shouldn't a small 12v UPS battery be enough to boot up the car? as then you could carry something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-4-5AH-S...05&prg=10335&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=141081453746&rt=nc

Weight 3.2lbs (1.4515 Kilos)

- - - Updated - - -

How does this work? Isn't the 12V battery required to engage the battery contactor?

The charge port on the Roadster manually operated, there is a switch to detect when it's opened. manually opening the chargeport on the Roadster will turn on the ESS/PEM/VMS/VDS/etc. regardless if there is an 12v battery connected to the system (good or dead). My roadster actually doesn't have the 12v battery connected up right now and works fine for me to still use it (ignoring the annoying Aux battery low messages).

Why such a large battery, shouldn't a small 12v UPS battery be enough to boot up the car?

The charge port on the Roadster manually operated, there is a switch to detect when it's opened. manually opening the chargeport on the Roadster will turn on the ESS/PEM/VMS/VDS/etc. regardless if there is an 12v battery connected to the system (good or dead). My roadster actually doesn't have the 12v battery connected up right now and works fine for me to still use it (ignoring the annoying Aux battery low messages).

Because I have 12 of them? [for eMC with sidecar project]. With the spare and this batt the MS weight distr approaches 50/50 maybe.

Nice to know. Roadsters have many good unique features. Luckily I've yet to see that message.
--