Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery issues - need replacement battery AGAIN after 5k miles - any way to get Tesla to help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notification that I need to replace my 12V battery - but I already replaced it 5,000 miles ago! This is too soon to have to do it AGAIN.

The notification came on after a night when it was very cold. But the car's main (driving) battery was at 80% charge.

I got the last battery just over 12 months ago for $230 and now need another one at $230. Tesla won't cover it because it's over 1 year ago despite the low mileage.

Most 12v batteries are warranted longer. Any suggestions on how to fix this without dropping another $230 at Tesla for yet another replacement 12v battery?

Or is there no other real alternative?

If you think the error message was a fluke because the battery was cold, you should be able to clear the warning by triggering a "deep reset". This can be done by changing the wheel configuration in the service menu. Make sure you put the wheel config back again after it reboots. Maybe you can get through the summer with it.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and tomsla
That seems silly maybe take it to another service center or escalate to see if they would replace it as a good will gesture.

Seems like this is a common point of failure for a lot of fleet. I'm guessing that's why they are moving to the lithium 12v batteries in the newer S.

Thanks!

Do you have any tips on how to escalate? I tried calling Tesla 800 number but they were very unhelpful and acted like all 12v batteries should only last for 1 year...

Will try deep reset as well.

Did you just buy the battery and replace it yourself, or did you have Tesla install it? (I ask because if you did it yourself the new battery could have been of a different type than you had and that requires changing the configuration in the car to properly maintain/monitor it. Which could be why you are seeing premature failure.)

Did you just buy the battery and replace it yourself, or did you have Tesla install it? (I ask because if you did it yourself the new battery could have been of a different type than you had and that requires changing the configuration in the car to properly maintain/monitor it. Which could be why you are seeing premature failure.)
Tesla did it at the dealer.

Thanks!

Do you have any tips on how to escalate? I tried calling Tesla 800 number but they were very unhelpful and acted like all 12v batteries should only last for 1 year...

Will try deep reset as well.
Do you have another local service center you could take it to? You should try calling them or emailing that center directly.

I have never heard that you need to "change the configuration" when replacing the battery. Perhaps I don't know or perhaps that is a EU thing?
There is no reasonable escalation within Tesla. It is part of the ownership experience. Accept or sell.

By deep reset do you mean option 3 here?

No, the procedure that I was referring to is not listed on that page. I was referring to changing the wheel configuration as described here:

Maybe one of those other procedures would work too, but I know firsthand that changing the wheel configuration will clear the 12v battery warning.

If the warning message returns right away, I would say you don't have much time left with that battery. I am probably going to put an aftermarket Ohmmu battery in my own S in the near future.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I have never heard that you need to "change the configuration" when replacing the battery. Perhaps I don't know or perhaps that is a EU thing?
There is no reasonable escalation within Tesla. It is part of the ownership experience. Accept or sell.
I got the 12v battery needs to be replaced message so I scheduled a mobile service. The serviceman came out and said my configuration had not been updated when Tesla replaced my battery years before. He said he had updated the configuration for the new type of battery and that that would probably fix the problem. 2-3 months later no issue. No charge for the service call, either.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I forgot to mention that the car does take noticably longer to start than before. It usually used to be instant on (once pressing the brake) with occasional delays of a few seconds up to 10 seconds. Now it takes 10+ seconds each time.

Doing the wheel option reset fixed it. Thank you!

I went to the Tesla dealer and they said the battery is fine w 12.9 Volts tested and verified.

They also said when Tesla last replaced the battery last, they didn't update the configuration to the new battery part. They now did that today.

Thanks everyone for your help!

That doesn't mean they always change the battery config. I bought a new 12v battery at our service centre and asked if they could check if I need to update my battery config, the Tesla employee said to me that they never do that and just swap the battery without changing any config.

this is accurate;
The entire “change the algorithm for the battery” thing is a myth. Yes, the option was seen in the last break of the Tesla software code, but it has 2 options and they are different by name alone. It was one of those things that Tesla software team thought would be useful but has yet to bear fruit, maybe in the future it will tho... just not yet...

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech