Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Just Died - Total battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I believe that float charging or trickle charging liion batteries isn’t a good idea because it encourages the growth of dendrites in the cells, which is generally a bad thing.
Your right, it’s not and for the reasons you say, and I’m nearly certain that the whole time we drive our cars the 12V battery is being charged at around 14V which is entirely normal and correct for a lead acid battery, but bad for Lithium.
Easy to find out, just check the voltage of the 12V outlet. When the car is ”on”
A good Lifepo4 charger should monitor the battery and when at rest voltage drops below say about 12.7 Begin charging and terminate at whatever “full” is set for.
A lithium bank shoud be disconnected when fully charged, this is tough to do on a car as many alternators can’t handle the battery being disconnected, and of course auto batteries are made for ICE vehicles as they are the majority of auto’s.
Lifepo4 batteries work on ICE vehicles though and apparently tolerate being abused by being overcharged pretty well, I’ve used them on motorcycles where weight is an issue, and on race bikes with total loss ignition systems as the voltage drop is minimal.

I thought having a 12V battery was silly on my Prius and I understand it even less for a Tesla, but it’s the design so it’s what we have.

In the past my Model 3 had around 14.5V at the 12V battery terminals anytime the car was awake for ANY reason; however, now after the 12V battery is topped off the voltage drops back to around 13.3V and if you are driving will stay at that level until you arrive at your destination. This new charging regime should affect the 12V battery lifetime in a positive way. I think 13.3V is about the proper float level?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
In the past my Model 3 had around 14.5V at the 12V battery terminals anytime the car was awake for ANY reason; however, now after the 12V battery is topped off the voltage drops back to around 13.3V and if you are driving will stay at that level until you arrive at your destination. This new charging regime should affect the 12V battery lifetime in a positive way. I think 13.3V is about the proper float level?
14.3 and 13.3 are ideal voltages for good quality AGM batteries, 13.3 is float voltage of course.
I’ve never heard of an auto dropping to float, but it’s the ideal way to treat a battery, most autos just run 13.8 to 14.2 V all of the time.
If anyone is curious the Lifeline batteries are among the best of the quality deep cycle AGM’s and have the most comprehensive manual of any battery that I have found. the manual is worth reading if you desire to learn about lead acid batteries.

Same company makes the Concorde aircraft battery, I don‘t believe they make regular automotive batteries though.