Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went out to dinner and when I returned to my Y, I could not open either door on the left hand side. Right side doors worked. Hopped over the passenger seat and the vehicle would not turn on. Computer screen black. Did the 2 button reset 3x before it responded. Warning signs popped up telling me the 12v battery needs replacing and that several functions- steering, braking and acceleration "may not operate properly" . Instructed me not to drive. Had to get it towed.
Had 151 miles of range. Got the vehicle in March of 2020. Has 13k miles.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is it common for the 12v battery to die after a year and a half?

6 months 11k miles, just came up with the error that was low. they replaced, but wanted to blame underbody lights
Underbody lights? Were the lights hooked up to the 12v battery and did Tesla replace the 12v battery free of charge? 6 mos seems to be a short life span for any car battery. My Y was towed to the Tesla service center. I'll see what they say tomorrow. I hoping they won't charge me, but not too optimistic.

Upvote 0
Underbody lights? Were the lights hooked up to the 12v battery and did Tesla replace the 12v battery free of charge? 6 mos seems to be a short life span for any car battery. My Y was towed to the Tesla service center. I'll see what they say tomorrow. I hoping they won't charge me, but not too optimistic.
Its the way too hook up things lol, they tried to blame. However my frunk latch sensor has been having issues, wondering if the light has been coming on etc and caused it. They disconnected lights(which btw was a super clean install) and replaced battery. the installer has done tons of these on Teslas, no issues.

Upvote 0
So the 12v battery was replaced, free of charge. I asked if they could replace my air filters while they had it. (tried making an appt weeks ago for it, but was told filters out-of-stock) They did so free of charge as a courtesy. So they did right by me.
Everything seems fine. My battery drain remains higher than average. Given that the 12v went dead in 18 mos,/ 13k mi., I can't help but think that there's a malfunction somewhere else that's causing me to get poor range, especially when the a/c is on- can't get my kWh/mi under 300 driving conservatively.

Tesla says all is good, so I'm chalking it up to first adopter woes for now.

Upvote 0
So the 12v battery was replaced, free of charge. I asked if they could replace my air filters while they had it. (tried making an appt weeks ago for it, but was told filters out-of-stock) They did so free of charge as a courtesy. So they did right by me.
Everything seems fine. My battery drain remains higher than average. Given that the 12v went dead in 18 mos,/ 13k mi., I can't help but think that there's a malfunction somewhere else that's causing me to get poor range, especially when the a/c is on- can't get my kWh/mi under 300 driving conservatively.

Re 300 Wh/mi, do you have a Long Range Model Y or a Performance Model Y (if Performance do you have the 21" wheels?)

Have you added tint to the glass windows?

Upvote 0
Re 300 Wh/mi, do you have a Long Range Model Y or a Performance Model Y (if Performance do you have the 21" wheels?)

Have you added tint to the glass windows?
I own the Performance w/ the 21" turbine wheels. The glass roof definitely makes it heat up quickly. I have not tinted any of the windows. but I'm convinced there's something up with my vehicle's battery and it's not a widespread issue. While additional tinting may help with keeping it cooler, I feel like that's treating the symptom and not curing the disease. Good suggestion given I have limited options.

Upvote 0
I own the Performance w/ the 21" turbine wheels. The glass roof definitely makes it heat up quickly. I have not tinted any of the windows. but I'm convinced there's something up with my vehicle's battery and it's not a widespread issue. While additional tinting may help with keeping it cooler, I feel like that's treating the symptom and not curing the disease. Good suggestion given I have limited options.
Many Model Y owners with the 19" and 20" wheels have lifetime Wh/mi of somewhere around ~270 Wh/mi. The 21" wheel can account for 10% increase in consumption, i.e. 300 Wh/mi consumption.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Upvote 0

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you know if the replacement 12v battery was a lithium-ion? I just scheduled a mobile appointment to replace mine next week. My X is less than 3 years old and just experienced the auxiliary battery failure.

Upvote 0