Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery must be replaced soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to understand a M3 - "Jumping procedure'

Is this correct?
If our battery goes dead get into frunk jump/attach a portable 12v lithium battery jumper kit. When the car powers up - DC-DC converter kicks in - disconnect portable 12v ps. Drive home or to your nearest TSC. If car dies again or fails to get enough juice to start you'll be calling a tow truck.

Based upon my understanding - I have 2 questions

Since we have no starter we dont need massive amps and we're just trying to supply the system with 12V to get the electronics working. Would a "cheap" portable battery unit work, like one that plugs into your cigarette lighter and is about 5-6 amps? a quick search turns up this Buy One, Get One FREE Mighty Jump Pro Starter - PulseTV (no comment on quality) The advantage is my wife/kids could do it.

If the OEM battery has a short/dead cells and the car will not stay on after jumped. Can you disconnect the battery and run through a Portable jumper battery pack instead? EG NOCO GENIUS10, 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer

TIA

Just trying to understand a M3 - "Jumping procedure'

Is this correct?
If our battery goes dead get into frunk jump/attach a portable 12v lithium battery jumper kit. When the car powers up - DC-DC converter kicks in - disconnect portable 12v ps. Drive home or to your nearest TSC. If car dies again or fails to get enough juice to start you'll be calling a tow truck.

Based upon my understanding - I have 2 questions

Since we have no starter we dont need massive amps and we're just trying to supply the system with 12V to get the electronics working. Would a "cheap" portable battery unit work, like one that plugs into your cigarette lighter and is about 5-6 amps? a quick search turns up this Buy One, Get One FREE Mighty Jump Pro Starter - PulseTV (no comment on quality) The advantage is my wife/kids could do it.

If the OEM battery has a short/dead cells and the car will not stay on after jumped. Can you disconnect the battery and run through a Portable jumper battery pack instead? EG NOCO GENIUS10, 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer

TIA
Please read the manual.
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 12.09.13 PM.png

Reactions: sightman
3 days ago my car broke down i couldn't open it and nothing was working. I called to customer service they eventually sent me towing truck after 6 hours waiting in the forest. The towing truck driver jumpstarted the car to put it into neutral mode. So the car turned on and i could drive by myself. So i didnt go to service centre because it was night and they wanted to tow it to service center wich 300 miles away from my home. I got home today and i got warning 12v battery must be replaced soon. I called to customer service and i was told to take my car to service center by myself because the car can shut down anytime and they dont cover towing twice per the same case. The service center is closed until monday and they dont want to cover rental car too. Its better for me to take my car to service center on Monday and if car shuts down to tow it. But I afraid would i be able to put my car in towing mode without replacing 12v battery if it shuts down again?
This seems like a possible lemon law case, albeit several repair attempts away. I’d call the company, and ask for towing service again. Afterall, what proof do they have that the 1st issue and the 2nd issue stem from the same source? Did the towing person conduct a reasonably thorough investigation? Or did the person just jump start your vehicle and tell you there might be a battery issue? At any rate, I’d recommend that you get it fixed and if it happens again contract a lemon law attorney in your state. CA lemon law is relatively consumer friendly, but viability of your case depends on your state law. Good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Any place with car batteries has Group Size 51R batteries. Those are the same size as the Model 3 battery.
See this section of the Hankook (AtlasBX) catalog. The last item is the Model 3 battery.
screenshot_20200904-084755__01-jpg.584978
Thank you for the information.

Note: About the Hankook B24 MF 85B24LS 45 battery, see the following thread:

#30 What's with the Ohmmu 12V battery?

The primary reason I suspect it's *not* an AGM battery is because in Hankook's catalog...
the 85B24LS part # starts with "MF" - MF as in "Maintenance Free";
all of their AGM batteries start with "AGMxx-xxx" ....

Just my suspicion - until someone cracks the cover, or works for Hankook, we won't know for sure ...

Where are Model 3 batteries available? Batteries + nope, NAPA nope, Interstate batteries nope, Auto Zone nope,
but the engine showed up as 0.0L 192 kW 258 HP 15cyl

I did some quick search for AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries for size Group 51R

Note: The letter 'R' states that the positive terminal is on the RIGHT,
however when facing the car, the positive terminal is on the left side.

Note: AGM are used in cars over lead acid batteries because they do not spill.

$144 - Interstate Batteries - MT-51R 24 Months Warranty

Note: I search for Costco which sell Interstate Batteries Powersport AGM Battery,
but I was not able to find the 51R size.
$146 - Pepboys - Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 51R

Web Exclusive - 25% Off Select Batteries Reg. $194.99 each

Full 4-year free replacement warranty.
$182 - Homedepot - Exide - Edge 12 volts Lead Acid 6-Cell 51R Group Size 440 Cold Cranking Amps (BCI) Auto AGM Battery

48-month free warranty​

$199 - AutoZone - Duralast Platinum Battery 51R-AGM Group Size 51R 435 CCA - Reserve Capacity 45

Platinum 3 years free warranty​

$199 - O'Reilly - Super Start Platinum Battery Group Size 51R (Part: 51rplt/5880657)

3 years unlimited warranty​

$238 - Optima Batteries - 8071-167 D51 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery

Product Warranty (Personal non-commercial use 36 months guarantee)​

I was not able to find any store online selling the Hankook B24 MF 85B24LS 45 battery.

Last edited: