Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery must be replaced soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be caused by the 12v battery needing to be charged. The car monitors the 12v battery's voltage when it is asleep, and will wake up to use the DC/DC converter to charge the 12v battery from the main pack. If the 12v battery is on its way out, the car will wake up often to charge it.
I'm guessing it is to keep the car from going to deep sleep and becoming unresponsive.

anyway, they bumped my appointment up and got it resolved yesterday. All is well!

I live in AZ, where 12v batts are dropping dead on a daily basis, some with little/no warning. It appears that one summer is all you can count on. To be fair, it is blazing hot here in the desert, after all! I got my M3 in April. Next April, I will install an Ohmmu, as I don't want to find a bricked-by-12v-sudden-death car in a mall parking lot when it's 115F! For me, the expense is worth the peace of mind.

:)

Received the warning yesterday - out of the blue - to replace the 12V soon. Earliest I can get in to the Tampa Service Center is mid-September. Car was delivered March 2018 and has a VIN within the first 5000 made. Other than the ac smell, this is the first issue we've had with it (17,000 miles). It's our second TESLA.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Received the warning yesterday - out of the blue - to replace the 12V soon. Earliest I can get in to the Tampa Service Center is mid-September. Car was delivered March 2018 and has a VIN within the first 5000 made. Other than the ac smell, this is the first issue we've had with it (17,000 miles). It's our second TESLA.
You’re lucky to have gotten the warning. My car was also delivered at the end of March 2018, with a vin in the 9000s, and 12,000 miles. How long did the 12V last on your first Tesla?

Cross Post with the Ohmmu thread apologies in advance...

Copy that...thanks. My car turns 2 next month....(Sept)...I’m low miles (8,000) and not in a hot climate however am nervous about mine failing without notice. Toying with the idea of throwing an Ohmmu in “pre-emptively” to preclude being stuck with no vehicle and no warning other than “your car is dead replace 12 V” and all that that goat rope involves trying to get service from Mobile OR a 100 mile drive EACH WAY to the nearest SC after an apparent 2-3 week appointment via the app. Also,toying with throwing a battery monitor on with app notifications but not sure how much warning THAT will even give me.

Ski

Reactions: AZAV8R
@Skione65 or when it dies you can just replace it yourself like in any other car. If you really want Tesla service to do it try getting a Ranger as I’m told they can see you much faster than a Service Center. A little bird told me when you schedule service thru the app select “other” instead of one of the predetermined options and it will get routed to a Ranger automatically.

@Skione65 or when it dies you can just replace it yourself like in any other car. If you really want Tesla service to do it try getting a Ranger as I’m told they can see you much faster than a Service Center. A little bird told me when you schedule service thru the app select “other” instead of one of the predetermined options and it will get routed to a Ranger automatically.

@EnrgyNDpndnce,

Copy that. Yeah, I have no problem swapping out batteries myself whether it be OEM or Ohmmu. Easy job.

Ski

Is there a routine that we can practice to extend the life of the 12v? Or is it really hot climates combined with luck of the draw?

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect luck or some other factor has more to do with it than heat. In my case, I lived in GA and move to SC, and got 80k miles out of my factory 12V. It’s not exactly Death Valley, but GA and SC are definitely what most would consider hot climates. Of course my situation is anecdotal. Absent any really relevant statistical information I’m not convinced there is anything to worry about regarding the Model 3 12V. As with any new car, some fail under warranty, most do not, all fail eventually. I will say this is the first time in my life my car actually gave me a warning that the 12V was about to fail.

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect luck or some other factor has more to do with it than heat. In my case, I lived in GA and move to SC, and got 80k miles out of my factory 12V. It’s not exactly Death Valley, but GA and SC are definitely what most would consider hot climates. Of course my situation is anecdotal. Absent any really relevant statistical information I’m not convinced there is anything to worry about regarding the Model 3 12V. As with any new car, some fail under warranty, most do not, all fail eventually. I will say this is the first time in my life my car actually gave me a warning that the 12V was about to fail.

Good point. At least there's a chance that we'll get a warning!

Is there a routine that we can practice to extend the life of the 12v? Or is it really hot climates combined with luck of the draw?

For me it was hot weather combined with long periods of not driving. It died at 22 months and 11,000 miles.

In the future I’m going to try powering down the car if its going to sit for more than a day or two.

For me it was hot weather combined with long periods of not driving. It died at 22 months and 11,000 miles.

In the future I’m going to try powering down the car if its going to sit for more than a day or two.

Despite not being able to explain the science behind it, I am firmly of the belief that the Pandemic is wreaking havoc on the batteries. It's not good for any car to sit around for days on end. Couple that with a very hot summer and it's a recipe for disaster.
I'm sure the battery scientists on TMC will tell me I'm wrong with all kinds of battery lingo.

Despite not being able to explain the science behind it, I am firmly of the belief that the Pandemic is wreaking havoc on the batteries. It's not good for any car to sit around for days on end. Couple that with a very hot summer and it's a recipe for disaster.
I'm sure the battery scientists on TMC will tell me I'm wrong with all kinds of battery lingo.
Why is it not good for any car to sit around for days on end?

Tires, brakes, and 12v batteries don't like it. I've heard a ton of stories about dead batteries in non-cold climates(for both ICE and EVs). That's pretty unusual.
Could you be more specific than "don't like it"?
We've had a few threads reminding people about flat spots on tires, but that takes over a month to develop and is usually non-permanent, especially with the high tire pressure Tesla recommends.

Brakes have to be used. I know we don't use them very much, but any mechanic will tell you that cars sitting around are bad for brakes.
Reported 12V issues have risen dramatically since March. I actually starting writing this stuff down from multiple forums(seriously LOL). I tried searching for 12v issues before March and the posts were few and far between. Since March? I've seen 18 threads and dozens of people commenting under most of the threads.
There's something in the air. Can I explain it? Absolutely not. But evidence demands attention.

You do realize that 18 threads, and dozens of people is only the smallest fraction of model 3 owners?

And, I've already explained why we're seeing all these 12V deaths, and why this is a temporary phenomena. Let's try it again.

When Tesla started selling the Model 3, the car used a lot more power when it was "off". That higher power usage translated into many more charge cycles on the 12V battery.

By then end of 2019, the "phantom drain" was greatly reduced.

That means older cars have batteries that experienced higher usage than normal. So it's normal to see those batteries die earlier.
But Tesla since Tesla has resolved the high power usage when off issue, this really shouldn't be an issue for newer cars, or older cars once their battery is replaced.

People in very hot climates will always have shorter 12V battery life. Someone in Arizona will be replacing their battery much more often than someone in Oregon.

It is well known here in Vegas that cars stay in good condition due to lack of rust, the main thing that you will have issues with is 12v batteries. I would say 2-4 years is very normal for Vegas, I just had to replace my wife's VW OEM battery after 2 years 3 months. They often just die without warning.

I know people who will just change their battery every 2 years and never wait for it to fail. I will look into this Ohmmu battery, sounds interesting.

I will say this is the first time in my life my car actually gave me a warning that the 12V was about to fail.
Mine always give an indication:

Rawr-rawr-rawr... rawr-rawr... Vroooom!

As opposed to the usual Click! Vroom!

I also tend to let batteries discharge, not good. That's another hint that they are nearing the end of life, but in that case, because I caused it. But I have 7 cars cause they each do one thing well. Really for the first year after I got the Tesla I didn't touch my other cars. Totally shocked when I got in one and discovered a dead battery and so got in another to use it instead and it was dead too. Put three new batteries in that month. Now they are on rotating tenders and various solar panels.