Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery needs replacing after 7000 miles/9 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is always plugged in when I'm at home and not driving. I've spent maybe a dozen or so days traveling where it hasn't been plugged in overnight. I also have always connected off. My car is always asleep unless it's phoning home. So, in my case at least, it seems the battery just died prematurely.
If that's the case then yea you prob had a bad battery... hopefully it's not something else happening in the 12v system those are always difficult to troubleshoot and get resolved

I have a Dec 2015 Model S and the 12v battery failed in 3 months. My service center informed me to expect this about every year. So far, it's been 15 months since it was replaced. I don't drive more than 200 miles per week and only charge 2 or 3 times per week. Fortunately, it was the only problem I have experienced during the entire length of ownership. I can't complain.

It is a design flaw in Teslas vehicles. The 12v battery powers everything but the drivetrain. The main battery isn't set up in a way to provide a float charge to the battery. So what happens is that the 12v battery gets continuously discharged until it reaches a low chargepoint (i think about 70%) and then gets topped up by the main battery again. Because there is quite a significant power draw from the electric devices on board this can happen several times a day when you drive, but also when you don't drive.

Really what they should be doing if they are not optimizing the battery to provide a float charge to the 12v battery is put a lithium ion 12v battery in.