Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery needs replacing again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in AZ and I have to replace it about once a year. The first one lasted almost 2 years and was a free replacement. There is no warranty on 12v battery so I've had to paid each year after that. The last one, in late 2020, was replaced with an Ohmmu lithium based battery. It costs twice as much as the regular battery but I hope it lasts longer.

If you are replacing is yourself then an AGM battery is okay as long as you epace it every year . If you are engaging a mechanic to do it then Lithium Ion battery makes sense as you will not have to pay for labor every year. As far as I remember from what I have read in this forum and elsewhere the 12V Lithium ion battery for Tesla is rated for a life of 4 to 5 years and cost around $ 400~450. So you can do the math and decide which option works best for you.

As far as i understand the hot external ambient temp has a lot to do with the life of the battery. Both TX and AZ have much shorter life for the 12V battery compared to CA and other states with similar weather.

I’m in interior CA with summer temps very similar to TX and AZ. 🤷🏼‍♂️

In any case, Tesla’s labor charge to replace the 12v is $39, so not a major consideration.

I wanted my 2019 MX 12V battery proactively replaced as I was going on a long trip to the national parks .( I told Tesla that I will pay for Battery+Labor). I live in the Bay Area so there are 3 service centres within 15 miles from my home. Still Tesla told me that since there is no alert from my car they cannot send a mobile technician to my home. I can pick up the battery from their Fremont Service Center and install it myself. As more and more Tesla's get delivered, they will have problems providing mobile service for non critical situations. Ultimately i decided to take the risk and not replace the 12V battery and instead purchased a portable jump starter kit from Costco ( as an option to jump start the 12V battery in case of a failure) and went for the trip. Fortunately I did not have to use it .

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Two to three years is pretty good and normal for these. I have a 2014 Model S, and I had my second replacement around 7 years old, so approximately three and a half years each. That's pretty good. And yes, the overall average temperatures do figure into that pretty well I think. Our car stays garaged, and I am in Idaho, so not really too extreme on temperature too much of the year.

2015 85D delivered April 2015, had the 12v battery replaced end of October 2019 at 65500KM. I just had the message come up today at 99890km. So 4 1/2 yrs on the first one, 2 1/2 yrs on the second. I was hoping living in the PNW would be gentler on the 12v battery, less extreme temperatures. One thought, I upgraded to the MCU2 in July 2020, maybe consumption increases with the newer computer. Also, the coolant pumps tend to run more frequently at rest with a high SOC on the neutered 85 pack.
Interesting to read above that the original battery tended to be the longest lasting, then downhill from there.

• Informative
Reactions: David29