Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement cost at Orlando Service Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, can someone tell me if they got charged, and how much, to replace the 12V battery at the Orlando Service Center or by Mobile Service in this area? My X is 2.5 years old, so still under warranty, but from what I understand the 12V battery is excluded. Depending on the price I might DIY and/or upgrade to a Li-Ion 12V battery.

A 12V battery is commonly a service item in any car. Indeed is sounds as if the Model X may be guilty of running through a few of them quickly, but I suspect that you have to talk sweetly to get it covered.
I'd DIY with a equivalent replacement. Not sure if Li-ion would give you extended life or more issues.

In March of this year my battery literally started leaking and the car died (2016 MX). They came and towed the car from my house and replaced the battery. I had zero charges. This was at the Orlando service center and I was still under my 3 year warranty. Maybe because mine was "Found the 12V battery to be gassing and bloated. 12V was replaced with new battery" is what it said on my paperwork is why I wasn't charged?

Waiting for Mobile Service to call me back...

I was thinking, in an emergency, could you "jump" the battery with one of those 12V powerpacks? Once the car gets enough 12V juice, will the traction battery keep things going? Or can the powerpack keep things going if you leave it connected, at least to get home or to a service center? You'd have to have the right tools, etc. of course.

Whatever the "actual" cost it must be less than the $320 to tow from Melbourne to the Orlando service center. It has been 4 days and I am still in the diagnostic queue. The 12V Battery is about to fail warning never came up but I got a warning that said "Acceleration Reduced" and "Car may not restart" warning. Tesla roadside said that could see the 12V losing voltage. By that time everything went black and had to have it towed. A preventative replacement after 3 years would be cheaper than what I am going to pay.

Waiting for Mobile Service to call me back...

I was thinking, in an emergency, could you "jump" the battery with one of those 12V powerpacks? Once the car gets enough 12V juice, will the traction battery keep things going? Or can the powerpack keep things going if you leave it connected, at least to get home or to a service center? You'd have to have the right tools, etc. of course.
A few days ago, one of our club members did this on his Model S with nosecone. Access to the battery is of course easier. He got it going again, but it remains to be seen if it will last until his appointment with service in a few weeks.

Steve Furniss charging 12v battery.jpg

He said:

"I happened to have a 10A 12v power supply and was able to revive the Model S. The service center basically told me to have it towed to them so I figured I’d try to get it going myself. I have appointment to take it in early Dec to get the 12v battery replaced and the software updated."

Larry

I know this doesn't do you any good now, but on Thursday my 2 year old Model 3 - 12v battery failed. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and there was a tow truck in my driveway in just about 30 minutes. I took this picture at 9:22 am as my car was being taken to the Pensacola Service Center. At 10:32 I had a text that said my battery had been replaced and my car was ready to be picked up. I was back on the road by 11:00 am. No charge for the new battery.
20200827_084836.jpg

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Two year Model 3 and the 12V died a few weeks ago. Flat-bedded to Orlando SC where it sat for 3 days before they replaced it. Not sure if they were just busy with other repairs or didn't have any batteries in stock. Love the car, not so much the service. I think they are struggling with growth. No charge for the battery, covered under new car warranty.

I know this doesn't do you any good now, but on Thursday my 2 year old Model 3 - 12v battery failed. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and there was a tow truck in my driveway in just about 30 minutes. I took this picture at 9:22 am as my car was being taken to the Pensacola Service Center. At 10:32 I had a text that said my battery had been replaced and my car was ready to be picked up. I was back on the road by 11:00 am. No charge for the new battery.
Great to hear some stories about good service.
Did you receive any warning messages from your car before the 12 v battery failed?

Larry

I had my 12v battery replaced a week after I got my S two years ago. Mobile service came to the house and did it, no charge of course. I wasn't even home at the time. Speaking of which I haven't been back to the service center since I picked up the car almost 2.5 yrs ago.

Not to go too off topic but has anyone gotten the MCU/FSD upgrade done at Orlando? I've been waiting over 3 months for the MCU-2 part.

Not to go too off topic but has anyone gotten the MCU/FSD upgrade done at Orlando? I've been waiting over 3 months for the MCU-2 part.

Not Orlando, but I just had the MCU upgrade done at the Tampa SC. They ordered the MCU on August 13th, and they received it on Aug 27th. Once ordered I got a status email about once every 4-5 days. Have you been getting the automated emails?

I was originally scheduled to get it done on 9/1, but had to reschedule for medical reasons. So I just got it back last week. It took about a week to do. They indicated they were very busy because of it being end-of-quarter. BTW it was worth every penny.

They ordered the MCU 6/8/20 (tried to order earlier but they rejected it) they received the MCU on 9/19/20, so over 3 months. Then the earliest appointment wasn't until 10/16/20. Ok I get it we are in the middle of a Pandemic but I saw quite a few people on here getting their FSD and MCU upgrades who ordered long after me. Just wondering if Orlando SC is swamped.

On topic my 12v battery still going strong after 30 months. Did I just jinx myself?

They ordered the MCU 6/8/20 (tried to order earlier but they rejected it) they received the MCU on 9/19/20, so over 3 months. Then the earliest appointment wasn't until 10/16/20. Ok I get it we are in the middle of a Pandemic but I saw quite a few people on here getting their FSD and MCU upgrades who ordered long after me. Just wondering if Orlando SC is swamped.

On topic my 12v battery still going strong after 30 months. Did I just jinx myself?

I just passed the 3 year mark, and mine is still going as well. I may pro-actively have it replaced, but I think the car will often tell you when it needs to be replaced. Is that accurate?

Got mine replaced by mobile tech just a few days before the 3 year anniversary of it's build date (Model S). Tech mentioned that it was a deep cycle now, one that is commonly used in marine applications. Make sense, you don't need cranking power, but do need longevity. Hoping it last longer, but 3 years has always seemed the norm on all cars I've had.

Reactions: dixosw and 1speed
I got message eve of a launch in Titusville-I was with a large group of Tesla owners, "Reduced acceleration, car may not restart" etc, called roadside-she said its ok you can drive it, not knowing what was happening, next morning it started, I drove back to Palm Beach, saved Tesla from towing.

Unfortunately, had to stop for a charge, now I'm worried after the charge it my not restart. Drove to service, service gave me a loaner. Launch was scrubbed that day. Drove home in the loaner. Tesla called later in the day, said "drive battery heater needed replacing", I asked to please replace 12V also. She replied "we had to push your car in from where you left it, It would not restart." Picked up car Monday no charge. The whole thing was a close call. I got lucky.

Launch was next day, I watched from my TV.