Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Replacement Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening:
My "New to Me" Tesla P90D is coming up with a replace 12V Battery warning this afternoon.
Thankfully it managed to let me get to Melbourne from Sydney earlier in the week before this occured.

I've had a look under the Frunk etc and determined it's a Red 12V AGM Battery... which I'd assume is probably standard Tesla supplied etc.

What's the school of thought with these and LiFePo4 12V Batteries as alternatives etc.
Or do I just contact Tesla Service and request a battery replacement call-out etc?

Nude Frunk Picture for Effect ;)

Attachments

• IMG20210213181831.jpg
    IMG20210213181831.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 3,453
Frankly speaking, I’d book a ranger to come out and replace it. yes you could get it cheaper if you did it yourself, but it isn’t worth the hassle.

I have had two in 4 years both replaced under warranty

I'm in Victoria and my Vehicle isn't associated to my account as yet... so I'm not sure I can even book a Ranger by a Mobile app etc.
Have you booked a Ranger via a Phone Call previously?

Does seem a bit that way... It's been 5 days and they still haven't managed to get this 2nd hand purchased Car in the Tesla App for me.
I've logged a Support query on the website, I'll see if they come back to me at all.
Last time I sold my tesla, they wanted proof that I’d sold and proof that the other guy had bought, as they are effectively giving someone else access to the car. The proof they wanted was official registration, which is run by a government department......it wasn’t quick.

Last time I sold my tesla, they wanted proof that I’d sold and proof that the other guy had bought, as they are effectively giving someone else access to the car. The proof they wanted was official registration, which is run by a government department......it wasn’t quick.

paulp: I can understand the situation, however it was traded to Tesla and then shipped off to Pickles to sell.. so they know the Sales situation. I've been reliably informated by Service Tech that I'm supposed to have access on Monday morning, however he's also said Wednesday and Friday last week... so i'm not holding out huge amounts of hope :)

I believe there is an issue with this year and the 12v battery warning. It happened with my 2015 S85. There is a fix, sorry to be vague but I can’t remember the details. I took mine to the Service Center. I think with these cars nothing is ordinary, the best rule of thumb, anything not right, is book it in with the service Center, I had a lot of problems trying to put on 3rd party wheels that were said to suit (by the wheel company) but they scraped making sharp turns. Save yourself a headache and go to Tesla and only use Tesla approved parts and repairers.

I believe there is an issue with this year and the 12v battery warning. It happened with my 2015 S85. There is a fix, sorry to be vague but I can’t remember the details. I took mine to the Service Center. I think with these cars nothing is ordinary, the best rule of thumb, anything not right, is book it in with the service Center, I had a lot of problems trying to put on 3rd party wheels that were said to suit (by the wheel company) but they scraped making sharp turns. Save yourself a headache and go to Tesla and only use Tesla approved parts and repairers.

I've tested the existing battery. It's cactus... Barely any CCA and massive internal resistance.

Called Roadside Assistance, couldn't assist because Vehicle wasn't in my name as yet.
Only option I've been given is to try and get in contact with Service Centre to get Battery Part Pricing etc on Monday.
(Although in all likelihood they made not even be there due to lock-down etc)

Very interesting. I had heard reports of strange error messages after the battery was completely disconnected. Glad to hear there was nothing untoward.
The Tesla 12V battery is a mysterious thing. I tried to jumpstart someone the other day with jumper cables and it didn’t deliver enough power to start their car.
Maybe I wasn’t revving it hard enough? :)

The Tesla 12V battery is a mysterious thing. I tried to jumpstart someone the other day with jumper cables and it didn’t deliver enough power to start their car.
It's a smaller battery than most cars, since it doesn't need to have the cold cranking amps rating necessary to turn over a starter motor - hence it won't jumpstart a car with a starter motor either (or at least, not a big engine).

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
It's a smaller battery than most cars, since it doesn't need to have the cold cranking amps rating necessary to turn over a starter motor - hence it won't jumpstart a car with a starter motor either (or at least, not a big engine).

In theory you'd be better off connecting the jumper leads and using the Tesla as a DC-DC Battery Charger for an extended period.
However I wouldn't recommend doing it :)

Help me understand why it is any of Tesla's need for a person to show proof that they sold the car and someone else bought it. Are they trying to be DMV now? I guess there is a good reason, but it is Sunday and my brain takes a vacation on this day.

Help me understand why it is any of Tesla's need for a person to show proof that they sold the car and someone else bought it. Are they trying to be DMV now? I guess there is a good reason, but it is Sunday and my brain takes a vacation on this day.

Because we don't want them to give anyone else access to our cars through the app on just their say-so?