Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I have a 2020 MYP and yesterday the 12v battery replace soon notification light came on.

I requested a mobile service replacement but it is 2 weeks out. Are there aftermarket replacements I can buy and drop in myself? It looks pretty easy to change.

LED underglow
my guy!
Nfsu2-win-cover.jpg

Exactly as noted... warranted repair.

it seems they have improved a failing 12v so that the car still runs albeit with perpetual warnings...

back in the day, that 12v died and your car was staying wherever it stopped.
They did not change this. Your car needs a 12V or it’s a paperweight.
What they changed is earlier detection of failing 12V. Ideally you can swap it before it’s dead.

Reactions: thodgdon66
I suggest that every vehicle owner, whether EV or ICE, have a portable lithium jump starter at home or in the vehicle. The jump starter will enable you to unlock your Tesla vehicle if the 12V battery won't hold a charge, before Tesla service or mobile service can replace the battery.

There are instructional videos that show how to apply 12V power to the Tesla leads located just behind the front tow hook cover. This will open the front hood. Once the hood is open you then remove the plastic shroud that covers the area under the hood by the windshield. Then you connect the 12V jump starter leads to the 12V battery so the Tesla vehicle will start up.

If you become stranded due to the 12V battery failing before your scheduled appointment you can call Tesla Roadside assistance they should be able to come out and replace the 12V battery right away.

If you know your Tesla's 12V battery is on its way to the Big Adios store the jump starter outside of the Tesla so the jump starter is accessible should you need to use it.

It's a warranty item, don't pay for what is free.
My 12v warning appeared yesterday.

Cost estimate: $257.92​
Approving your estimate ahead of time speeds up your service visit. You will not be charged at this time.​

What about my extended warranty which expires in December 2021?

Greetings, this is the Tesla Service Center in Nashville. Unfortunately the 12V is considered maintenance and is not covered under the extended service agreement.​
Not a happy camper.

My 12v warning appeared yesterday.
Cost estimate: $257.92​
Approving your estimate ahead of time speeds up your service visit. You will not be charged at this time.​

What about my extended warranty which expires in December 2021?
Greetings, this is the Tesla Service Center in Nashville. Unfortunately the 12V is considered maintenance and is not covered under the extended service agreement.​
Not a happy camper.
That is normal; Tesla service will advise you of the cost of the repair. Once Tesla service performs the 12V battery replacement they will see that the new vehicle 4 year warranty covers this repair. You won't be charged.

That is normal; Tesla service will advise you of the cost of the repair. Once Tesla service performs the 12V battery replacement they will see that the new vehicle 4 year warranty covers this repair. You won't be charged.
I should have been clearer the extended warranty on my 2013 Model S declined to cover the battery which was replaced under warranty March 6, 2017 when the vehicle was 40 months old. My original post states Tesla has declined to cover cost to replace my 12v battery.

My 8 year extended warranty expires December 2021. Was said to cover everything the standard 4 year warranty covered but the documents disappeared from the MyTesla page and I can not find my downloaded copy.

While not Model Y specific, it appears to be universal Tesla policy.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy