Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Replacement Outside of Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first warning of my 12V battery needing replacement after warranty ended. I have a few questions for those that have done it.

Can this be done myself? Where do I buy the 12V battery if I can?
How much does Tesla charge for this service?
How long do I have from the first warning (yesterday) until it actually dies?

Thanks in advance.

I had mine replaced in the last year, 2015 modelS with dual motors. I had Tesla change it in the shop, 35 cdn labour, plus the battery, was about 250ish. I made the appointment soon after the message and it was changed within a week or two. Can't seem to find the receipt, otherwise I would be more specific. They did want to charge me a diagnostic fee, but I declined it saying it just needs a new battery, not a diagnosis.
There is some software that have to check with the older cars and a new battery. I was fine letting them do it for that price. There is not a satisfactory 3rd party battery as far as I know.

Reactions: AnitaToronto
I had mine replaced in the last year, 2015 modelS with dual motors. I had Tesla change it in the shop, 35 cdn labour, plus the battery, was about 250ish. I made the appointment soon after the message and it was changed within a week or two. Can't seem to find the receipt, otherwise I would be more specific. They did want to charge me a diagnostic fee, but I declined it saying it just needs a new battery, not a diagnosis.
There is some software that have to check with the older cars and a new battery. I was fine letting them do it for that price. There is not a satisfactory 3rd party battery as far as I know.

@CFinVancouver $35 CAD for labour is surprisingly decent! Don't have a Tesla yet, but just had to replace the 12V in my 9-year old ICE car (second time, about 4.5 years between batteries) and Canadian Tire charged me the same $35 for labour. I'm surprised Tesla isn't more.

Take a Look OhmMu Batteries. A bit pricey, but will outlast the Lead battery you'll get at the SC. I bit of a PITA to replace on an older MS, but can be done if you have some mechanical skills. Y0uTube has quite a few vids on how to swap.
:)

• Helpful
Reactions: Tz00
So did you do it yourself? Where did you eventually get it? Mine's 2013.
No. The ranger came out to my house and I watched him change it. They replaced the 12V twice under warranty.
$35 for labor is a great deal. It took him quite a while to take the tub out and then get at the 12V. It is hidden in the upper right side under the cabin air intake.
TeslaS12V.JPG
TeslaS12V location.JPG

B05AA855-BC8B-4087-AF17-0C5A85FC5E5E.jpeg
This won’t help Anita, but battery is more accessible on newer Model S. I watched one or two YouTube videos before installing an Ohmmu in our 2017 S 100D.

Methodically disassembled. Should have put numbered labels on trim pieces so I could reinstall in proper order. During reassembly I had to pull off one or two pieces to install the one I overlooked.

I’m insufficiently obsessive. Didn’t power wash the area while it was accessible.

Something that motivated me to act was a message saying I could not update the firmware until the 12v battery was changed. I guess it would be bad for the 12v to die completely during a software update. Mobile service swapped mine out on the Model X for $88 labour $210 for battery.