Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement: Tesla Li-ion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the new BMS and charger can be retrofit? Probably wouldn’t require a gateway config change.
It will require a config change. Check the Ohmmu thread and ask yourself is it really worth the trouble? On the config change, yea... like swapped matrix lights require a config, hell even the modded back in lumbar adjustment got firewalled out. It's kind of a downer, shrugs.

I’m sticking with lead acid. Yea, I had to replace after 2 years. Tesla covered it. It’s already almost another 2 years and this one is still going. And it’s a cheap replacement.

I’m curious if Tesla improved the charging algorithm, if there was a bad firnware that killed a lot of batteries, or if there was a bad batch. I remember lots failing around the time mine failed.

I only bring it up because I have an auto frunk... yea there's a manual release, but I've heard of that failing on some. I just plan on running a legit charging cable connected to the battery and leaving the end near the towhook for emergencies.

Sounds like it won't hurt and hopefully I won't ever need to use it, but it's cheap insurance