Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery Replacement Vendor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they make any significant improvements for the longevity of the 12V battery after a certain date of manufacture?

Is there a user facing diagnostic screen for checking the health/voltage of the 12V battery or does the software automatically do that where no news is good news?

Did they make any significant improvements for the longevity of the 12V battery after a certain date of manufacture?

Is there a user facing diagnostic screen for checking the health/voltage of the 12V battery or does the software automatically do that where no news is good news?

No news is good news.. The car will let you know about 3 weeks before failure that the 12V battery needs service. Apparently a hard part to find. My car is a 2014 so the original battery has lasted a good while. I knew it was coming because the car would say a warning message for a few seconds about the car stopping unexpectedly but the message would disappear pretty fast. That is a tell tale sign the battery is on its way out before the 12V battery requires service message.

Attachments

• tesla battery service.jpeg
    tesla battery service.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
You'll have to redeploy the firmware to get rid of the 12V replacement message though.

No firmware needed. You just need to completely shutdown the car to reset that message. Pull the 12V, pull the first responder loop. Swap the 12V, reconnect the loop, reconnect the 12V. Message should be gone if the replacement 12V battery is good.

They do have some profiles that can be configured in the car's configuration for the various types of batteries they've used over the years... but in practice, as long as you use the newest replacement available from Tesla this doesn't seem to matter. If you try to use some aftermarket battery, you may end up just triggering the message again when capacity measurements don't line up.

When you do this, keep a window open or some way to keep access to the inside of the car, just in case.

The Dual Motor model 12V battery is easy to replace. Pull the frunk tub and it stares at you.
The older rear motor model has the 12V battery buried way down on passenger side near the steering rack.
As wk057 states, no problem replacing with a battery obtained from Tesla.

No firmware needed. You just need to completely shutdown the car to reset that message. Pull the 12V, pull the first responder loop. Swap the 12V, reconnect the loop, reconnect the 12V. Message should be gone if the replacement 12V battery is good.

They do have some profiles that can be configured in the car's configuration for the various types of batteries they've used over the years... but in practice, as long as you use the newest replacement available from Tesla this doesn't seem to matter. If you try to use some aftermarket battery, you may end up just triggering the message again when capacity measurements don't line up.

When you do this, keep a window open or some way to keep access to the inside of the car, just in case.

Interesting. I had a 12V "failure" because of how cold the NE got last winter and the car is always parked outside. I got the 12V error because I guess it dipped below the threshold for the alert and it wouldn't go away. I had a firmware update the day of the installation and it removed the 12V error message once I installed it (prior to the 12V swap).

When the message is caused by things like cold and such, it can go away on its own after a gateway reset (which happens to happen when you do a firmware update).

Can also just "pretend" to do a swap by disconnecting the 12V and pulling the first responder loop, wait a minute or two, and hook it all back up. If the battery is actually OK, the message won't come back.

When the message is caused by things like cold and such, it can go away on its own after a gateway reset (which happens to happen when you do a firmware update).

Can also just "pretend" to do a swap by disconnecting the 12V and pulling the first responder loop, wait a minute or two, and hook it all back up. If the battery is actually OK, the message won't come back.

So glad you are here! Thanks for all work you do to keep us all informed :)

That makes sense, thanks for the insight! Do you know if updates downloading are disabled until the 12V error goes away? i.e you won't get OTA until the 12V is "replaced"