Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement warranty (and how long they last)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
2014 Model S 85 here. Got the 12V battery replaced in Oct 2019 and now I got a warning to replace it.
Scheduled an appt (mobile service) but the estimation charges full price ($243).

What is the warranty on those batteries ? Also, any experience for how long those replacement last ?
Just over 1 year seems a bit short....I declined the estimate, so let’s see what happens.

In the 3.3 years I had the car (bought used from TESLA) I had the central display replaced twice (1st bubbles, then yellow border), the driver door handles fixed, 12v battery and slow supercharging. i also think I lost some range, but need to check what is the 100% range now, as I never charge to 100%.

A bit concerned, that it’s going to be a money pit when out of warranty in September...

-stopar

• Love
Reactions: KerryOH
I finally had the 12v battery replaced. Tesla in the end replaced it for free. Kudos to them!

We had some discussion though, as I do have an aftermarket sub+amplifier (NVX) and when the ranger noticed it, wanted to charge for the replacement, indicating that was the culprit for the battery failing.
I got the sub installed the same month I got the car (CPO from Tesla), so the original battery lasted more than 2 years with that setup.

Any opinion/experience with an aftermarket sub ?

I replaced mine a few weeks ago, after 8 years. Cost $125 from Tesla. Took 1.5 hour to change. Easy.
I see you have a 2013 S like I do. I assume your battery in in the passenger-side corner of the front area under the cowling also?

Last time I needed the 12v replaced, Tesla wouldn't sell me one, as they needed to do a FW update for the new battery type. Perhaps I can get one now... as my car is telling me the 12v is starting to go south.

If they sold you one to do yourself, any recommendations or gotcha's on the process?

Last edited:
12v replacement message came up today...bought a new one from Tesla for $178.

I have 2015 MS 70..RWD...battery is dated 2014...it lasted a while.

it was very difficult to get to it...the battery is on the passenger side on this year model...no reset needed by Tesla...just unplug the high voltage loop. You have to remove the frunk tunnel to get to the battery hold down clamp

also make sure ...u fold up the fuse panel completely out the way ...if not the battery won’t come out easily

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78

it was very difficult to get to it...the battery is on the passenger side on this year model...no reset needed by Tesla...just unplug the high voltage loop. You have to remove the frunk tunnel to get to the battery hold down clamp

also make sure ...u fold up the fuse panel completely out the way ...if not the battery won’t come out easily

I know older MS like yours had the battery buried in that hard to access spot on passenger side -- not sure exactly when they made the switch, but just for reference of other 2015 owners... on my Nov2015-build MS 70D the 12V battery is in a much more accessible location - more in the middle and out in the open once you remove the frunk liner

photo:

IMG_7382.JPG

p.s. the Tesla mobile service tech also did something with his laptop, I assume something to do with resetting the dash warning message? overall a straightforward procedure, they charged me 0.3hr labour plus cost of the battery (same DCS33UNCR)

Reactions: Dre78 and aerodyne

Wow, last time total to have them replace it for me was like $144...

Just had mine replaced today, but I bought mine used so who knows how long it was in there (2015 S). The battery was red though, so I believe that's the original style battery. Anyway on the invoice it shows they recalibrated all four windows, and likely updated BMS which I think is something they have to do after cutting the battery power. So that's likely what he was doing with the laptop. Mine was covered under the limited warranty that the previous owner purchased, so can't help with price. This was what was on my invoice:

Correction: Window Regulator - Front - LH - Recalibrate
Correction: Window Regulator - Front - RH - Recalibrate
Correction: Window Regulator - Rear - LH - Recalibrate
Correction: Window Regulator - Rear - RH - Recalibrate
Correction: Battery - Auxiliary - 12V - 1st Generation (LHD RWD) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR(1083774-00-B) 1.0

Reactions: scaesare
Wow, last time total to have them replace it for me was like $144...
FYI, for folks in the same boat:

Just had my ~4-5 yr old battery replaced by mobile service yesterday. Battery cost was $165 + tax. Labor cost for the installation was $39.

Given my early Model S has the battery tucked up in the passenger side corner, it was a no brainer to have them do it. Took him all of 30 mins, including a courtesy check of a few other items. Well worth it...

FYI he did have to update the car's configuration with the charge/monitoring profile for the new "gray" AGM batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak