TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V battery replacement

Discussion in 'Model X' started by masam, Mar 27, 2018.

1. masam

masam Member

Wondering how soon have MX owners had to replace the 12V battery ? I just got a warning from our 2016 MX75D that the battery should be replaced soon. The car is always garaged and plugged in when not in use. This just seems too soon to have to replace a battery.

2. Poor Pilot

Poor Pilot Member

Picked my MX up about a week and a half ago and just got the message. Was told some 3rd party apps tend to drain the battery and you have 3-4 weeks of useability before it gets to a critical level. Needless to say they’re replacing it next week.

3. techiegirl

techiegirl Member

I picked my car up 10 days ago and have only had it for 8 days (in shop due to firmware issue) and I just got the message. It seems a bit too soon to get the message already.

4. masam

masam Member

I guess I should be happy that the battery lasted this long I suppose :confused:

5. Sean9689

Sean9689 Member

I haven’t even had my MX a week and already got the notice...

6. Poor Pilot

Poor Pilot Member

I just updated to 2018.10.6 and the message has disappeared. I called the SC and they’re going to check the logs and see if everything looks good on their end. Hopefully it was just a software glitch.

• Like x 1
  7. masam

masam Member

I’m still on 2018.6.1. I don’t recall getting any update notifications recently.

8. Poor Pilot

Poor Pilot Member

I’m on MCU2 and was on 10.2 for the last week. Just got the 10.6 notification a few hours ago.

• Like x 1
  9. techiegirl

techiegirl Member

I got the update notification too but I haven’t updated.

• Like x 1
  10. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

Have you experienced any vampire draw when not plug in? What is the usual setting (on/off) for "Energy saving"?

• Like x 1
  11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I got it...had mobile service replace the battery

12. masam

masam Member

I have "energy saving" on and usually see a vampire drain of around 3-4 miles when plugged in overnight. Haven't seen too much of a difference when not plugged in.

• Like x 1
  13. Sean9689

Sean9689 Member

Updated this morning and the 12v service notification is gone. Hopefully it stays that way and I can get back to enjoying this amazing ride.

• Like x 1
  14. lymex2018

lymex2018 Member

One of my fellow here has the similar situation as yours.
    As for me, I had a vampire drain of 12 miles per day before Nov. last year regardless of the setting. But now the car only draw less than 1 mile per day when I set "energy saving" on.
    I suspect that the "12 battery service" message has something to do with the vampire drain.

• Helpful x 1
  15. StephB

StephB Member

I picked up my X on Mar 22 and the 12V warning came on a few days ago. I have 2018.10.6. Is this just a software glitch? I haven’t heard back from the Service Center yet.

16. Joshker

Joshker Member

Same here.

17. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

lasted a little less than 2 yrs.....waiting for call back from mobile service....3 hours and counting....

18. Gary and Rachel

Just sharing. In 3 years we had 2 batteries replaced by Tesla. Just had our 3'rd message popup and this time the decision was made to upgrade the 12v lead acid battery with the 12v Ohmmu lipo from Amazon. 12V Lithium Battery for Tesla... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4X289T?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.
    I replaced it myself after watching video on YT on how to do this. It is pricey and may not be for everyone. Don't know if it's going to last longer, we will see. But this is what I observed after install. My lights seem brighter and don't seem to fade so night driving and high beams are awesome. The premium sound seems a lot stronger and bass sounds are noticeably better. Your results may vary, but others have told me this aswell. Lead acid versus lipo 12v battery you will get more charge cycles and stronger current longer per charge, but we Tesla owners know this already with our large packs. So I can say that I am now happy to get the lead out.

• Informative x 1
  19. mbp11

mbp11 Member

This is interesting but replacing the battery seems daunting. You have to about dissemble the entire frunk and posterior brackets, and you have to try not to get electrocuted. How long did it take you?

20. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

And of course you no longer get any free replacements from Tesla.