TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

12V Battery shortage??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by agloutney, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. agloutney

agloutney Member

So I get back to my car in the airport parking lot on January 1st to find a message about my 12V battery being low and to call service. Ok I was expecting that as it's my original battery and lasted two years which I understand is well above average. Drive home and call service the next day, get an appointment in just over a week. So far so good. Fast forward a bit and I get a call from service to the effect they just ran out of 12V batteries so we reschedule to today. Well they called again last night to advise they still don't have a 12V and they are on backorder from California. They (Montreal) still don't know when to expect the batteries and they can't borrow one from Toronto either because they're all out too. Now I'm starting to get nervous as it's going on three weeks with a low 12V in the dead of winter and I have to leave my car unplugged at work for several days at a time. Am I one cold snap away from a dead car? And suppose I do get back to a dead car, is there any way to unlock the doors? I might want to pry off the nosecone to access the battery terminals but if my cables are in the trunk, they wont be of much use. Anyone done this before?

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I'm not certain of this, but I think some of your concern about weak 12V batteries may not be applicable here, since the Tesla 12V is constantly charged from the main traction pack. So, for example, the issue with leaving it in the cold may be better in your case than in the case of a weak traditional 12V battery left in an ICE vehicle. I may be mistaken about this, so definitely hope for better answers from others.

3. dasRad

dasRad Member

Well, I'm waiting on a replacement 12V battery, as are others in the interior of BC, and the story out of Vancouver is that the technicians are too concerned about road conditions to drive over the Coq.

So much for paying upfront for Ranger service.

4. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

This is an issue in the USA also it seems, my Denver CO service center does not have a replacement for me and no eta, they said they would let me know once one is available.

5. kr200

kr200 Member

Just had mine replaced on Mon. due to a total failure. The car was totally dead in my garage in the morning. I had to jumper the car to get it to Mississagua SC. I guess I must have got one of the last ones. They replaced it on warrantee.

6. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

I'm having a 12V need service replace battery message since december 31. My appointment have been pushed 2 times now and i'm now scheduled in Febuary... I work for a autopart supplier and yes, lot of batteries are B/O right now.

• Informative x 1
  7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Dumb question but isn't the 12V battery the average run of the mill lead/acid battery you can get from anywhere? I guess not

8. agloutney

agloutney Member

I don't think there's a drop in replacement available yet. The connectors are different and it has to be a very specific size. im sure there will be a good after market option at some point though.