Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V Battery shortage??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I get back to my car in the airport parking lot on January 1st to find a message about my 12V battery being low and to call service. Ok I was expecting that as it's my original battery and lasted two years which I understand is well above average. Drive home and call service the next day, get an appointment in just over a week. So far so good. Fast forward a bit and I get a call from service to the effect they just ran out of 12V batteries so we reschedule to today. Well they called again last night to advise they still don't have a 12V and they are on backorder from California. They (Montreal) still don't know when to expect the batteries and they can't borrow one from Toronto either because they're all out too. Now I'm starting to get nervous as it's going on three weeks with a low 12V in the dead of winter and I have to leave my car unplugged at work for several days at a time. Am I one cold snap away from a dead car? And suppose I do get back to a dead car, is there any way to unlock the doors? I might want to pry off the nosecone to access the battery terminals but if my cables are in the trunk, they wont be of much use. Anyone done this before?

So I get back to my car in the airport parking lot on January 1st to find a message about my 12V battery being low and to call service. Ok I was expecting that as it's my original battery and lasted two years which I understand is well above average. Drive home and call service the next day, get an appointment in just over a week. So far so good. Fast forward a bit and I get a call from service to the effect they just ran out of 12V batteries so we reschedule to today. Well they called again last night to advise they still don't have a 12V and they are on backorder from California. They (Montreal) still don't know when to expect the batteries and they can't borrow one from Toronto either because they're all out too. Now I'm starting to get nervous as it's going on three weeks with a low 12V in the dead of winter and I have to leave my car unplugged at work for several days at a time. Am I one cold snap away from a dead car? And suppose I do get back to a dead car, is there any way to unlock the doors? I might want to pry off the nosecone to access the battery terminals but if my cables are in the trunk, they wont be of much use. Anyone done this before?

I'm not certain of this, but I think some of your concern about weak 12V batteries may not be applicable here, since the Tesla 12V is constantly charged from the main traction pack. So, for example, the issue with leaving it in the cold may be better in your case than in the case of a weak traditional 12V battery left in an ICE vehicle. I may be mistaken about this, so definitely hope for better answers from others.

Just had mine replaced on Mon. due to a total failure. The car was totally dead in my garage in the morning. I had to jumper the car to get it to Mississagua SC. I guess I must have got one of the last ones. They replaced it on warrantee.

Hi guys, I have this "12V battery needs service" message on my out-of-warranty MS. I've seen in this thread that the battery costs about 125$ and the replacement at Tesla is 400$ including labor, but that's probably in USD. Do you know the price for that job here in Canada?

Since I already repaired a couple of things on the car (such as microswitches on door handles, for 2.18$ + 3h of my time instead of paying Tesla 1300$), I'm willing to try to replace the 12V battery myself, but there is a small probability that the problem doesn't come from the battery, rather from the circuit, so I would have purchased the battery for nothing. I'm pondering my options.

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but why do we even need 12V batteries in a Tesla?

Couldn't they just tap into a portion of the main battery bank?
The main pack's relay doesn't close unless 12v is applied to its coil. Where would this 12v come from? Also, the main pack will isolate itself under many conditions: low state of charge, collision, emergency disconnect cable severed, main fuse blown, etc. With no 12v battery, the car would go completely dead and lose its ability to do things like operate the door latches or run hazard lights.