TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12V Battery Swap/Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Btr_ftw, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Hey guys

I don't have the luxury of having a fancy dancy vehicle warranty like most of you here, but the 12V Batteries in my cars are long dead. Have any of you here upgraded or replaced the 12V battery in the Model S with a different/better brand? I know the 12v batteries die on average of once a week, so I'd like to only have to replace it once mostly due to cost and difficulty.

I plan on connecting it to a tender as well just in case.

2. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

#2 Edmond, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Yes I have no confidence in the brand that Tesla chose. At least they've moved to deep cycle.

I gather that a new Tesla battery is $400, but when mine goes I'm out for alternatives, and I've found several deep cycles which are the same size or larger and vastly cheaper, just doing a search. Or, depending on my circumstances at the time of failure I may spring for Stark Power | Lithium Starter Batteries & Energy Storage Batteries

3. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Li-ion looks like a good idea ... it will be my next replacement 12V.

upload_2016-4-25_19-53-12.png

upload_2016-4-25_19-54-43.png

4. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

#4 Edmond, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    I think 30Ah is inadequate. 50Ah is the same physical size. (although it is $200 more, it's worth it)

Hmm..
    Marketing/scare hype. Almost all cars charge at 14.5v.

Common for deep cycle, so it is fine for our application, but charging is a question. Either it doesn't have a BMS (unlikely), or they're trying to scare us into their charger.

Their 12V LiFePO Charger 10A is very basic, constant current and threshhold cutoff. Not to mention, inappropriate for us as it has AC input. I'm going to say the Tesla charger is fine.

• Like x 1
  5. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Interestingly enough, when switching battery brands (from C&D to Exide) you must reflash the vehicle according to the Tesla TSB

The TSB Instructs you to go to...

Views - Vehicle Information - Vehicle Configuration Update

Change 12V Battery type to C&D

There may be something else we are missing here if the car "requires" a reflash just to change battery brands...

6. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Attached Files:

7. Fusion

Fusion Member