Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery swollen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the replace 12v battery last week and just bought one from Tesla yesterday and installed it this morning.

When I was pulling out the old battery I noticed it was bulging on the sides so I'm glad I replaced it. But then I was thinking and I just replaced that damn thing like 6-10 months ago. But of course there is no way to see when I bought the battery since Tesla won't show me the history of my buys or service visits. And I know one of you is gonna be like LoOk In tHE aPp. So I attached a pic of the app it used to go back about 5 months but now it says **** all.

Regardless I know the battery isn't that old and the one before it lasted about 3 years. Any idea why it went bad so fast?
Also I wrote the date and miles on the new battery before I installed it since there is no paperwork for getting it yesterday. And since I have no receipt for the old one I can't even email the manufacturer for a warranty claim of early failure.

PXL_20221105_172142897.jpgScreenshot_20221105-102848.png

Have you looked in the app? Service -> History shows my prior service orders. Not sure who should cover the warranty, but the battery should have a manufacture date on it. Sometimes vehicle manufacturers buy parts without any consumer warranty (i.e. cheaper) and/or they assume the parts warranty. Don't know if that was done in this case, but I'd start with Tesla. The problem is they didn't install/remove it, so they may not cover it. Still worth a try.
The 12v battery should last at least 2-3 years.

Reactions: OldPro
Have you looked in the app? Service -> History shows my prior service orders. Not sure who should cover the warranty, but the battery should have a manufacture date on it. Sometimes vehicle manufacturers buy parts without any consumer warranty (i.e. cheaper) and/or they assume the parts warranty. Don't know if that was done in this case, but I'd start with Tesla. The problem is they didn't install/remove it, so they may not cover it. Still worth a try.
The 12v battery should last at least 2-3 years.
Bro 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I literally made fun of people like you in the OP and screenshoted the app to show… and here you are anyway 😂😂😂😂😂

Anyway Tesla warranties all OTC parts for 30 days, also without a receipt I can't even try to get any warranty help from the manufacturer. I've sent an email out of curiosity but I'm pretty sure a battery that's designed to last 10 years according to them and Tesla says about 3 years the use in a Tesla voids their warranty but I curious what they say.

But that's not my main issue, the problem is why? Did it fail because the DC DC converter is going out and overcharging it, or was there a manufacturer defect on this single battery that caused the swelling.

Regarding your Service History screenshot, why do you have so many cancelled appointments? Are you saying you can't see any other visits by scrolling that screen down?

I don't know how cancelled appointments work, but for completed service visits, you can tap on the entry in the history and it will show you the invoice and chat messages for that visit.

Regarding your Service History screenshot, why do you have so many cancelled appointments? Are you saying you can't see any other visits by scrolling that screen down?

I don't know how cancelled appointments work, but for completed service visits, you can tap on the entry in the history and it will show you the invoice and chat messages for that visit.
I have zero cancelled appointments it's just how they show up in the app. Only 9 show up and I can scroll but only for those 9 can't search to see anything besides those.
And when I click on one there is no invoice option just messages and when I click that it says this is closed for more info blah blah Tesla website that says nothing.

Might want to contact your service advisor and discuss your concern. They can pretty easily scan your car and determine if there is something amiss with your 12v charging system. Might even be able to make a correction OTA.

I have zero cancelled appointments it's just how they show up in the app. Only 9 show up and I can scroll but only for those 9 can't search to see anything besides those.
And when I click on one there is no invoice option just messages and when I click that it says this is closed for more info blah blah Tesla website that says nothing.
That’s really strange. You implied in your OP that the service history used to be correct. I was having some issues using some of the service features, maybe your issue is related. Try updating to the latest app version and see if that helps, there was a new version recently.

That’s really strange. You implied in your OP that the service history used to be correct. I was having some issues using some of the service features, maybe your issue is related. Try updating to the latest app version and see if that helps, there was a new version recently.
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled no change.
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I can scroll to see all the service appointments a mix of appointments, parts orders, and a few I canceled. I don't know why you can't scroll. I'm using app version 4.14.1-1395 (on Android).
I can scroll but that is to just see 1 more appt is listed as cancelled.

I made a service appointment saying I wanted to see the entire service of my car with a screenshot of the app saying I can't see *sugar* on there, and today I got an email with 26 PDF invoices dated back to 2019, I replied asking for the older ones, so we'll see if those get sent as well.

My 12v battery purchases are
13 Aug 2019
18 Nov 2021
4 Nov 2022

Glad they fixed the app for you! So the prior battery is 11.5 months old. That seems too short, but hard to tell if the battery or charging the battery is at fault. I was told Tesla changed the battery supplier to a better battery sometime in 2021 and the software configuration had to be manually updated to change the charging parameters. I had this done in February 2022 on my 2016 S (with the original battery being replaced by Tesla). Unfortunately, I don't have the service invoice as I sold the car a day later (another story) and the service history disappears on a sold car.

Glad they fixed the app for you! So the prior battery is 11.5 months old. That seems too short, but hard to tell if the battery or charging the battery is at fault. I was told Tesla changed the battery supplier to a better battery sometime in 2021 and the software configuration had to be manually updated to change the charging parameters. I had this done in February 2022 on my 2016 S (with the original battery being replaced by Tesla). Unfortunately, I don't have the service invoice as I sold the car a day later (another story) and the service history disappears on a sold car.
they didn't fix the app it still says cancelled appts, they sent me an email with a million attachments of service invoices and said they are unable to see any older than feb 2019. I'm on 2022.40.4 now so time will tell how long this battery lasts. but at least i put it in sharpie the date i got it so i don't have to search through old records next time it goes out, and hopefully it lasts longer this time.

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled no change.

I can scroll but that is to just see 1 more appt is listed as cancelled.

I made a service appointment saying I wanted to see the entire service of my car with a screenshot of the app saying I can't see *sugar* on there, and today I got an email with 26 PDF invoices dated back to 2019, I replied asking for the older ones, so we'll see if those get sent as well.

My 12v battery purchases are
13 Aug 2019
18 Nov 2021
4 Nov 2022
I'm still on my original battery. Almost six years old. I was just on here to see how long the batteries last and if the older cars can utilize the new lithium 12V batteries. I wonder if there is something wrong with your charging system. Are you frequently powering anything high wattage like an electric blanket or a heated seat massager?

I'm still on my original battery. Almost six years old.

Same here!
I have a Model S built on February 2017 still with it's original 12v battery :). Manufacturing sticker on the battery says it was made on October 2016 :oops:, but it's still going strong:

20221115_070523.jpg

I was thinking of getting an Ohmmu replacement battery for when the inevitable comes, but I figured that if the OEM battery lasted this long and it's way cheaper, why not give it another go... Also I saw this post on Reddit about the internals of an Ohmmu battery and this settled it for me to go OEM again.

Last edited:
I'm still on my original battery. Almost six years old. I was just on here to see how long the batteries last and if the older cars can utilize the new lithium 12V batteries. I wonder if there is something wrong with your charging system. Are you frequently powering anything high wattage like an electric blanket or a heated seat massager?
No I don't use anything like that. And FYI the new Tesla 12v lithium battery is an entirely different form factor and is not even remotely compatible with the older cars.