TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V battery trouble

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by zack, Mar 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. visionik

visionik Member

This has happened to me twice. During my last service visit, the South Florida service manager told me they are now replacing the batteries proactively during the yearly service. He indicated they are also looking at possible long term solutions. I know lithium-ion and other "motorcycle" size high performance batteries are available, I sure hope they come up with something.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll definitely watch my Ranger change it to see what he does. When (obviously not if) it happens again after my warranty expires I'll just change it myself.

3. strider

strider Active Member

Yeah, I'd be curious on the specs (size, amperage, etc). I use Shorai Li-Ion batteries in my motorcycles. Saves a TON of weight over Lead-acid but these are track bikes so they sit on a balancer for weeks (months now that I have a kid) and then get used for a day then back on the balancer. I don't have longevity data on daily use.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here's an old photo:

photo.JPG

5. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

After a ranger was here to swap out our PEM he suggested that the 12 volt battery be replaced annually as preventative maintenance. Tesla mailed one to me the following week and I was able to change it out myself without too much trouble.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

When my Ranger went to unscrew the bracket to remove the old battery, the bracket actually broke. He was very surprised - said he'd never seen that happen before. Fortunately I had some big-ass tie wraps in the basement.

Needless to say he's coming back...

7. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Thats where zip ties come in handy. (haven't broken anything on the roadster, but have on other vehicles especially w/ rusty bolts.)

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

Mine failed about two days after my annual service.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Conspiracy!

10. augkuo

augkuo Member

Probably as part of the annual service, they do something that drains the 12V battery down - I had the same problem as well

11. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

After talking to David at the LA service center (he's the new service manager) about this issue, they are going to start automatically replacing the 12v batteries at each yearly service.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes! Is there a system-wide thing or only LA? Mine stopped working right after it's first annual service too.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They do shut down main power for a while, in order to remove and blow the dust out of the PEM. Maybe that somehow stresses the 12V battery?

14. strider

strider Active Member

I'm coming up on my second annual and no problems so far. Will ask when I bring it in sometime in November.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Seems as if that would unbalance the pack and cycle those cells more than the others = bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

They could put a 12V power supply on the battery during service, or disconnect it. If that battery has to be replaced once a year it's obviously not sized properly.

16. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

:confused::confused:Does the 12V battery get recharged by the ESS when the car is running or does it just drain down like an ipod after each use???

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

There is a DC/DC converter that drops pack voltage down to 12V for the battery. As I remember it's a dual output unit, one channel goes to the 12V battery and the other powers the 12V accessories.

18. mg012

mg012 Member

My roadster was in for service last week in D.C. The technician mentioned that they replaced the 12v battery while going over the car. I didn't know it had one, but had noticed that I was having problems unlocking the car. It unlocks easily now (although I have to be pretty close).

19. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Mine wasn't, and it failed a week after my annual service resulting in another Ranger service call. Then the mounting bracket fell apart and another Ranger service was required to fix that.

It appears some local service centers have taken to replacing the battery automatically, but it does not appear to be a corporate policy.