Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery / vampire drain / humming noise... Tesla errors?? Warranty??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I’ve recently buy a S70D 2016 and notice a daily vampire drain up to 8%!! (No summing or sentinel) Also notice humming noise from the front that I don’t know if is related... but from yesterday I’ve got the message “schedule service to replace low voltage battery” when it was changed only 2y ago under warranty but not updated to the new one I think. Can everything be related?? Even if the car is not under warranty now, Tesla doesn’t replace the reported fail items for free?? 😕

Also, not even 1 year ago was replaced the VCM to MCU but maybe not upgrades til MCU2... that’s why I don’t have Netflix??

It’s annoying that a “premium car” doesn’t call you to replace the reported fails... Any help is welcome. Thx!!

The humming noise is a coolant pump which runs continuously on older vintage 70/85kwh batteries when the car is charged higher than about 80%. Lots of info here:

That pump running is the source of your battery drain. Your only real solution is to set your charge limit to somewhere under 80% and then it will stop.

Yes, if you don't have MCU2, you won't have Netflix.

The 12v battery needing replacement is likely not related. Older cars seem to chew through 12v batteries every couple of years. It could be contributing somewhat to your drain though - if it's not holding a charge the car has to "wake up" more frequently to top it off from the HV battery.

The humming noise is a coolant pump which runs continuously on older vintage 70/85kwh batteries when the car is charged higher than about 80%. Lots of info here:

That pump running is the source of your battery drain. Your only real solution is to set your charge limit to somewhere under 80% and then it will stop.

Yes, if you don't have MCU2, you won't have Netflix.

The 12v battery needing replacement is likely not related. Older cars seem to chew through 12v batteries every couple of years. It could be contributing somewhat to your drain though - if it's not holding a charge the car has to "wake up" more frequently to top it off from the HV battery.
Thanks for info!
The limit was set at 80% so I still don’t understand... Regarding the 12V battery it’s a recurrent issue and I think there was an update/replacement from Tesla, right??
Is not possible to upgrade to MCU2 and keep still your two kidneys?? 😂